"this is all my fault-"

"you didn't make me punch malfoy."

"-if i wasn't so lousy at quidditch-"

"-it's got nothing to do with that-"

"-it was that song that wound me up-"

"-it would've wound anyone up-"

hermione suddenly got up and walked to the window, so maddy did the same.

"look," hermione whispered, pointing outside.

"he's back," maddy lowly chuckled.

"look, drop it, will you?" harry snapped. "it's bad enough without you blaming yourself for everything!"

"boys," the couple playfully scoffed in unison.

there was silence in the common room for a couple moments.

"this is the worst i've ever felt in my life."

"join the club."

"well, i can think of one thing that might cheer the both of you up," hermione's voice slightly trembled.

"oh yeah?"

"hagrid's back," maddy turned around, a smile present on her face.

hermione dragged maddy and phoebe up to their dormitory to get clothes appropriate for the weather as harry ran up to get the invisibility cloak and marauder's map.

"well, it's cold out there!" hermione defended herself when ron began clicking his tongue impatiently.

"how come you didn't force maddy to wear all that!"

"i'm not going with you. knowing angelina, she'll want me to try out tomorrow so i need to practice. sev also wants to do a longer training session tomorrow for some reason."

"alright then," harry mumbled, walking towards the portrait hole, the others following except for hermione.

"don't get caught," maddy chuckled, planting a soft kiss on hermione's cheek.

𓆉

december arrived, and so did the last d.a. meeting before the holidays.

hermione had invited maddy over to meet her parents but the older witch politely declined, using the excuse of wanting to spend time with tonks and being scared to meet miss and mister granger.

maddy was actually planning on spending the majority of the break researching ways to break a prophecy and such.

she couldn't deal with the knowledge of that prophecy.

the fact that her future was already written out for her.

no matter what it took, she was going to change that, and she had to keep everyone safe while doing so.

as the others left, maddy mumbled a quick spell and pulled hermione aside in the corridor.

"yes?" hermione whispered.

"mistletoe," maddy responded, a smirk forming on her face as her girlfriend looked up to see a floating mistletoe.

hermione sighed, looking around before leaning in, meeting maddy's lips halfway.

a couple moments later, they pulled away due to lack of air, feeling content.

"i'm going to miss you," hermione complained, wrapping her arms around maddy's neck.

"ditto."

the pair kissed for another couple moments, but hermione pulled away and led maddy to their common room, where ron and phoebe were sitting by the fire talking about what they had planned for the holidays.

half an hour later, the taylor twins were making paper airplanes, ron was working on his transfiguration homework, and hermione was writing a long letter.

"what kept you?" ron spoke up, causing the two oldest girls to look up and see harry, who seemed very shocked.

"are you alright, harry?"

"what's up?" maddy placed the piece of parchment in her hand down.

"what happened?" phoebe joined in, doing the same thing her sister did.

"is it cho? did she corner you after the meeting?"

maddy and ron sniggered after harry shrugged, but stopped as soon as they caught hermione glaring at them.

"so—er—what did she want?"

"she," harry paused to clear his throat. "she—er-"

"did you kiss?"

"well?" ron demanded, accidentally sending his ink bottle flying.

harry switched his sight between the four before finally nodding.

"ha!"

maddy threw a finished paper airplane at the excited red-head.

"what's wrong?" phoebe whispered when maddy randomly zoned out, shuddering.

"i-i don't know. i just got this random vision of a snake and a hospital."

"huh."

the two got to thinking, but were brought out of la la land when hermione raised her voice.

"just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have!"

"she was the one who started it. i wouldn't have—she just sort of came at me—and next thing she's crying all over me—i didn't know what to do-"

"don't blame you, mate," ron said.

maddy threw her last paper airplane, so she stood up to collect them.

"i'm going to bed," she suddenly spoke up, seeing who hermione was writing a letter to.

"i'll go with you. i'm feeling a bit ill," phoebe slowly stood up. "who was she writing to?" she asked when they were outside the girl's dormitory.

"krum."

"is someone jealous?" phoebe teased.

whack.

"did you just hit me?"

"i'm going to bed."

as soon as the two fell asleep, they shot up, getting the exact same vision.

in that moment, professor mcgonagall barged into the room.

"you saw the same thing as mister potter, didn't you?"

"i—what did he see?" maddy whispered, attempting to catch her breath.

"arthur weasley getting bitten by a snake. c'mon, both of you, we have to go see the headmaster."

word count- 1282
date written- october 30, 2020