xxii

maddy left the darkness due to loud voices. she carefully looked around, remembering what had happened.

she spotted harry, who seemed like he barely woke up too.

"black had bewitched them, i saw it immediately. they all seemed to believe black was innocent, none of them were responsible for their actions. these four have gotten away with much before. of course mister potter has always been allowed extra lenience by the headmaster."

"well snape, harry potter, you see, we've got a bit of a blind spot for the boy."

"is it good for him to be given this treatment?"

"you treat miss taylor over here different," the man interrupted.

"not the point. i, personally, have treated him like a typical student. any other student would have gotten suspension, no doubt."

fudge raised an eyebrow and nodded over to the girl who quickly pretended to be asleep.

"we're talking about mister potter at the moment."

"well, the boy has been very foolish, no doubt about that, snape. you really have no idea what made the dementors retreat?"

"no, minister. by the time i had come to find potter, they had retreated back to the entrance of the castle."

"extraordinary. and black and the children?"

"all unconscious. i bound and gagged black, of course. conjured stretchers and brought them all up to the castle."

"oh! you three are awake!" madam pomfrey went to rush over to the teenagers with chocolate bars, but snape stopped her.

he mumbled a few things in her ear, glancing at maddy every once in a while, and madam pomfrey seemed to disagree with whatever he was saying.

after a couple more moments, she gave in, and went to go grab a syringe.

"how is ron?" they all asked at the same time.

"he'll live," she walked over to maddy. "sorry about this, sweetie," and with that, the taylor girl passed out.

𓆉

madison slowly opened her eyes, seeing madam pomfrey and snape arguing.

ron was asleep on another bed, his foot wrapped in a cast.

"miss taylor," professor snape spoke, putting his argument on pause.

madam pomfrey hummed and handed her a chocolate bar.

"you may go now," the older man nodded at her.

"oh right, of course."

"what happened?"

"i wanted you to be safe. your life is put at too much whenever you're around those other three troublemakers."

"but i want to help them."

"no-they seem to have everything under control. you, just go back to your dormitory when you feel well enough and pack up for the summer."

"what the-"

the red-head began once snape had walked out.

"what was that about?"

"i have no clue," maddy mumbled, getting up from her bed and heading to ron's. "how are you feeling?"

"just wonderful," he sarcastically smiled.

"where's harry and hermione?"

"i don't know their every step, but i do know that they fixed everything. i need to-"