chapter forty-three.

I know this chapter might be really confusing for people who aren't familiar with Islam, so before you begin the chapter, I have some stuff I'll explain so no one is confused. Even if you still are, feel free to ask questions. There is no such thing as a dumb question, I promise.

Ramadan: The ninth month of the Islamic calendar. For a whole month, from sunrise to sunset, Muslims refrain from food, water, and sins/temptations in order to reconnect with their faith. Muslims give to others, seek forgiveness, and forgive others. Not only is the point of fasting to bring you closer to God but it also humbles you and allows you to understand what those less fortunate than you go through on a daily basis. Fasting also has health benefits such as preventing high cholesterol, heart disease, obesity, as well as improving mental health and wellbeing. It spiritually cleanses you but also acts as a detox for your body.

Taraweeh and Witr: Refers to ritual prayers performed by Muslims after Isha/night prayer during the holy month of Ramadan.

Rakat: One unit of prayer

Suhoor: The time of day, before the sun rises, when Muslims must stop eating and start fasting

Iftar: The time of day when the sun has set and Muslims can end their fast and eat/drink

Laylatul Qadr: Translated to the night of power in Arabic. This refers to the night that the holy book of Muslims, the Quran, was first revealed. Muslims do not know the exact day the Quran was revealed and are suggested to pray every odd night of the last 10 days of Ramadan (night of the 21st, 23rd, 27th, etc.) There are many benefits for those that are able to pray on the exact night.

I'll be including definitions for certain words in the comments. But if you have any questions, let me know here.

-

When Samira greeted the angels on her shoulders with salam, she noticed how the birds praised Allah with her right at dawn.

She'd woken up alone for suhoor; her parents and Elias had left town after iftar last night to get some Eid sweets from Dearborn. It felt rather odd to walk through her childhood home with no one around, being able to curl on the couch without anyone scolding her to sit up.

Throughout all the serenity of Ramadan, something rang noisily for Samira. Chasing after faith felt like a slow, excruciating process with depression chained to her. Since this month began, Samira would stay up until fajr, melancholy feelings keeping her far from her dreams.

The last time Samira prayed before this month felt like a century ago. Her feet felt like heavyweights when she'd pull herself out of bed, and her vision always landed elsewhere other than the floor. When her forehead touched the threads of the prayer carpet, her eyes didn't bother to teem with tears.

Prayer was utter numbness, whether her stomach was empty or full. But the only sense of attainment was at least bringing herself to praise God, and prostrate, as He asked.

Now that it was the last ten nights of the month, Samira hoped she'd feel something, and soon.

Walking into the bathroom, Samira opened the faucet. She cupped her hands together, pooling her palms with water. In one breath, she slathered the water on her face, squeezing her eyes shut.

The lights were off, dim in the bathroom; Samira kept her gaze on the mysterious figure in the mirror, patting her face with a towel. She'd stolen her mother's cerulean cardigan from her closet, wearing it over a grey t-shirt and an old pair of joggers tied tightly around her waist.