Death Twenty-Three

Myorla and Ceres stride through the door breaths later.

"We are instructed to never leave your side," Myorla says.

"We are to sleep with you, "Ceres chirps, "This will be much fun."

"Sl-Sleep with m-me?"

"Yeah, like a sleepover."

"We are instructed to stay in your rooms. Unless you'd rather sleep with Lord Jerrath?"

"Myorla! Did you just tease her?"

"I am perfectly capable of teasing when the mood arises," Myorla responds in her dull speech.

The thought of sleeping in the same bed as the Immortal Lord sends my body into a fire.

"D-Do you ha-have to be wi-with me when-when-when I use the com-comode?"

"The Immortal Lord said to never leave your side," Ceres responds.

The thought of both Myorla and Ceres standing in the same room as I do my business makes me shrivel in embarrassment.

Myorla senses my discomfort and says, "We will try to be as unobtrusive as possible but Lord Jerrath is only minding your safety."

Ceres claps her hands and says, "Come, let us get this unpleasant ordeal over."

They lead me through the manor towards the massive front doors. Never have I seen the palace in a flurry of activity. Servants shuffle back and forth with various objects in their hands, mainly fabric.

The giant Currath doors are thrown wide and atop stands the Immortal Lord. Next is his manservant,

Gregoire. The Immortal Lord is out of his normal attire and has slipped into something fancier. A forest green silk shirt paired with black cotton trousers. His hair looks all the more vibrant.

I reach the top of the stairs, he turns to me and says, "Ah, there you are."

He loops my arm through the crook of his elbow. Knowing he can feel my skin beneath the gloves has my stomach turning in loops. Together we walk down the stairs towards the approaching carriage, followed closely by the servants.

The carriage is bright red, massive and pulled by six of the largest horses I have seen. When the contraption is closer, I notice they aren't horses at all.

"W-What in the Dy-Dyu's name are th-those?"

"They are called Dragorse."

"Dragons," I screech. I drop his arm and scurry behind his back.

I have seen a dragon, once. I was in the forest watching a herd of deer when the huge winged beast came swooping down in a massive column of flame.

I was promptly burnt to an apple crispt.

I am sure it is the closest I've come to a physical death. I doubt I will resurrect in the stomach of a Dragon.

A deep chuckle runs through me, "No, Dragorse. They are a special breed of beast more akin to horses than a dragon. They derive their name from their scaled skin, horned head and clawed feet. They are very gentle, even if they are wild."

He tugs on my arm, pulling me from my hiding place.

"Don't be afraid, they won't hurt you. I would never let anything hurt you."

Ceres darts past us with an armful of apples. "Hello dear friends, I have missed you."

At first, I think she is talking to the people residing in the carriage but she starts feeding the Dragorse. She is talking to the beasts.