Death Eighteen

I glance at the man sitting across and stutter, "S-Studies?"

"Yes, studies," he replies. He grabs a tan cloth sitting on a clear, glass table. He shakes it and places it on his lap. "It has come to my attention that you have much magical ability but have no one to teach you control."

'Putting it lightly. I practically killed The Immortal Lord and gave blood. Oh, Dyu's why did you have to think of blood? Does he feed every night?'

'Ooo, I bet he drinks from golden goblets. Desolation your mind is making assumptions. Does he eat regular food?'

". . . background or education; so what do you think?"

'Rancid rat rectums, I have no idea what he is talking about.'

"O-of course."

The Immortal claps his hands together with a thunderous boom making me jump a hand off my seat. He doesn't notice and simply says, "Then it is settled, we will have our wedding ceremony at midnight tomorrow. How do you feel about the colour moss green?"

My heart batters my chest like wrathful currents attempting to escape. I jump from my chair and attempt to screech, "What?" It sounds like trees scratching on a window pane. I clap my hands over my mouth to prevent further ear-scraping obscenities.

'Well, there goes my ego. Oh look there it flies out the window like an ashamed bird.'

"It seems you are paying attention. Sit down Desolation, you are scaring and confusing the servants. Your thoughts are days away from my words. Did I startle you?"

I nod.

"Let this be your first lesson, never agree with a person if you don't know what you're getting into. The next person might not be so agreeable."

My mien flames to the tips of my ears.

Can I be discarded in the ocean?

I desperately want to be angry, but I cannot, knowing the words he spoke are true. I caused more embarrassment than if I would just ask him to repeat himself.

The servants save me from responding. They silently present freshly cut fruit, and squeezed orange juice, followed by rice porridge and freshly baked bread. I notice nothing they presented held the flesh of an animal. It's a first. Normally, there would be some type of meat.

As if reading my thoughts, the Immortal Lord says, "Myorla and Ceres both report you never eat the flesh of an animal. Are they correct in assuming that it is not to your taste? Should it be prepared differently?"

My eyebrows raise. I had not realized the maids had taken notice on my eating habits.

"Yes. . . No. . I m-mean. . ." I let my voice die off. I don't know how to explain that my flesh has been sliced, diced, and butchered every way under the moons' that even the thought of eating an animal reminds me of my own flesh and makes me vomit.

On cue, my stomach lurches and I clap my hands over my mouth and fight the fountain of unwanted bile as it surges its way past my throat.

Unfortunately, my efforts are in vain and to my embarrassment, I turn my head and vomit spews from my mouth, the side of the seat, and on the pristine white tiled floor.

My cheeks burn so fiercely, I am afraid my hair and veil with burst into flame. I stare at the mess. My body is in shock and I cannot will my hand to grab a napkin. Having not consumed anything but water this early night, my retch is extremely runny with a yellow tinge.