CHAPTER 46: SURPRISE

Anastasia inhales a deep breath before she finally lifts up her head to meet her reflection, her fingers brushing the black fabric as she lets her gaze take in each detail. 

The sinuous line of lace falling low on her chest is drawing attention to the round swells of her pushed-up breasts. The see-through black corset is sharpening the line of her waist, while the tiny lacy panties she is wearing lower are enhancing the curves of her hips, and she can guess the little fabric behind is also accentuating the small globes there too. Lastly, various ribbons of silk and lace are adding relief and delicacy to the ensemble. Her eyes follow the intertwinings until the two strips lowering on her thighs, where they meet the hem of her sheer high stockings, although she only glimpses the upper part in the half-size mirror above the washstand.

It looks fine. Well, it looks like what the pictures have shown when she has ordered it. Who would have thought it would be this hard? She can learn easily every line of any text of law, or even do decimal calculations in less time than she has needed to put all those sheer pieces of fabric together. 

She has almost given up at one point. But actually, it might be complicated for her because it is the first time she wears something like this. It is far from the bras and panties she usually wears, even if she has chosen a sober design, and she still has trouble recognizing herself outside and inside.

Her skin is prickling with nervousness on that thought, and as if summoned by her twitchy nerves, a door opens in the next room.

She jumps and almost drops the flasks set on the edge of the washstand with the faint creak, and catching them in mid-air and trying to do the same with her breath, she focuses on the noises outside the bathroom door. There are steps, and her heart takes their pace as they get closer. 

She closes her eyes and prays that they don't come to the bathroom, and luckily, for once, the universe is on her side. The steps go back in the opposite direction, and after some shuffle, they stop, letting her breathe out a silent sigh, which is still tense as she looks at the time.

No, she isn't late. She has organized everything to be ready in time. But Nathaniel is early. He has told her he wouldn't be at his treehouse until about twenty minutes. 

It's strange; it doesn't resemble him to be this early. Yet she has no doubt it's him behind that door. She can feel it in the tingling of her skin.

So after glancing one last time at the door and its ancient sliding latch, she comes back to her reflection. She has to finish getting ready with a touch of red lipstick and some mascara, nothing else than that, no concealer, no jewelry, no necklace... She knows how Nathaniel likes to see the redness he creates in so many ways on her white skin. 

Though now that she senses his presence on the other side of the door, she is starting to doubt every little detail she has carefully thought out. Maybe she should apply more make-up? Less? The lingerie... She frowns at the mirror. What if he doesn't like it? She suddenly feels ridiculous. Why has she thought it would be a great idea to surprise him? Some lace and a few sweets to make up for all the times she doesn't even dare to count that she has pushed him away and all his gentle gestures through it all? 

The more she stares at those ribbons and lacy fabrics – and especially at her body wrapped in them – the more it seems plain. Nathaniel is probably used to seeing his gorgeous wife in much more expensive and fine lingerie. What does he even find in her? She can't comprehend it as she finds back the stray kitten from when she has officially met him at the Honor Ceremony, although it has been more a second meeting because they have got to know each other really intimately on their first encounter.