CHAPTER 79: THE END OR A FRESH START?

Here we are... 😭 Go listen to Ready for it by Taylor Swift for this chapter again, and also Never Tear Us Apart by Bishop Briggs (you can find all the songs in the Love Bug Playlist 😉)

"Can you access the leaders' area since you're a soldier?"

Anastasia doesn't wait for Darrell's reply, as she is already walking down the hallway, leaving him no choice but to follow after her.

Nothing will stop her, not even the tall figure she crashes into at the end turn, not even the impact as the man is rushing as fast in the opposite direction, and even less the sight of a typical gray fabric and a loaded gun as her feet restart faster. However, his hand does pull her back, halting her steps.

"What's the fuck are you doing?!"

If she hasn't recognized him with his improbable attire and his tattoos concealed, there is no mistaking at the sound of his sharp tone and soon, the piercing gaze meeting hers.

"They're using a jammer, Nate is already escorted to his sentence, Sacha is down there, but he can't do anything, and–" Hadi freezes in the middle of his rant when a silhouette appears behind Anastasia, and he tries a military salute, which doesn't look really credible.

Luckily, it is just Darrell.

"He's on our side," she informs quickly, not bothering with introductions. "We have another plan, and we need to reach the leaders."

Another hand stops her again, though. "Wait, to answer your question, I can go to the leaders' area, but we can't get near them 'cause they have personal bodyguards, and they're an impassable wall."

"We have to find a way to get around them because I need to reach the leaders directly for my plan to work." She shakes her head, the movement as restless as her legs are growing, as she is stuck between Darrell's firm grip and Hadi's even more unwavering lifted eyebrow.

"And what are you gonna do?! As great as your arguments are, you won't convince them about love and freedom."

"No, but with a great argument, I can make them cancel Nathaniel's sentence."

And for once, her plea won't include words. Yet as her gaze trails meaningfully to the gun in his hand, she believes her request for sentence review could be the first one to be heard.

"That's why we need to go near the leaders."

"How?"

It's the question in everyone's mind, and as Darrell speaks it up, she takes the opportunity of his grip wavering to pull her arm away and run again.

"I don't know yet, but we'll figure it out along the way."

"Oh, no! You don't go headfirst! You promised!" Andy exclaims, almost choking on whatever he is chewing.

She will never understand how he can be hacking, stressing, and eating, all at the same time, and even less how he can find appetite in such circumstances, as Hadi has said earlier when– Her rush of steps and thoughts stops abruptly as the image of the food trolleys flashes in her mind with Hadi's words.

"I know!" she announces, already resuming her course down the stairs while Darrell and Hadi quickly catch up with her. "Do the waitresses have access to the leaders' area to serve them?"

"Yes, I think they're checked before, but yes." Darrell nods, her idea slowly lighting in his blue eyes.

And in case someone hasn't understood, she stops at the end of the stairs, pointing in the opposite direction of the courtyard as she adjusts her ponytail, making it clear that no one can change her mind now. "Then I think I'm gonna switch jobs!"