CHAPTER 39: OWLS IN THE MOSS

Start from the beginning

Thump-thump-thump.

A shrill, chittering noise intensified, echoing through the air and the dull clap of steps on the ground – too many steps to be just two Greys.

Fuck. This was a squadron. It had to be.

We remained frozen in place, keeping as still as we could, yet poised, ready – and yet not ready – to strike, to take a final stand if need be. God, I wished I could look and just know. The not-knowing was the worst and the urge to take one tiny peek was overhwleming, but I stayed where I was, tuning in to the sounds, focusing solely on each step, each click, each high-pitched insectoid shriek.

After a while, the sounds seemed to grow fainter, fainter, fading into the distance, but I knew too well the dangers of poking my head up above the parapet too soon. The key was patience – always patience.

I turned my head slightly to look at Abby, who did the same, our eyes locking together in silent agreement. She nodded and carefully, I shifted position so that I could peer over the wall.

On the far side of the square, a now-dulled yellow coach stood blocking half the entrance to Great Smith Street and I watched, wide-eyed, as a Grey deftly climbed up the side, it's long, lithe limbs easily helping it reach the top where it skittered across, jumping down the other side and disappearing from view. Steadily, I scanned Storey's Gate, seeing no more signs of any Greys coming our way, my gaze coming to rest on Tom, who's face was so pale, it was like seeing a ghost looking back at me from across the square.

'Shit, that was close.' Abby exhaled through her teeth, turning to face in the direction of Central Hall.

'Yeah,' I said, trying to roll the tension out of my shoulders and failing miserably. 'Too bloody close.'

Glancing behind, I could see a few from Levi's group, including Mali, waiting at their position by the column, where Abby and I had been just minutes before. Over on the lawn, Jace crept out from behind the dead tree and darted across to the steps, concealing himself behind the small wall just across the street from the main entrance. Soon, Gav and Tom followed suit, with Taj, Levi and the others advancing more slowly from the opposite side, ensuring the Greys had gone before they moved forwards once more.

Finally, with a gesture for us all to proceed, Jace, Tom and Gav moved out from their place on the steps and ran quickly and carefully across the street, down the side of the building. Once they reached there, Abby and I crept up over the wall and followed them. Goosebumps raged over my skin as I ran, my gaze darting left and right, feeling the presence of the craft above my head as if it was pressing down upon me the closer I got.

Down the side street, Tom was waiting to help hoist us up onto the roof of the café located on the lower ground floor. One of the glass panels was missing, and one by one, we lowered ourselves into the café below, dropping into the gloom. With the glass roof, the café had always been a bright and airy place to grab a quick coffee, but not now. Now, it was crammed full of shadow. Still too exposed, we daren't switch on our torches yet, but as my eyes adjusted to the dark, I spotted movement on the counter top and resisted the urge to pull my trigger, realising it was just a rat, albeit a pretty large beast, its eyes glinting in what little light there was. As with most food places in the New World, the smell of rotting food and gone-off milk still hung in the air, even though the rats had clearly had their run of the place and feasted on what they could.

Wrinkling my nose in disgust, I headed to the door where Jace was stood, inching it open a crack to ensure the coast was clear before we moved on. I hesitated momentarily to ensure that Tom had made it through into the café, before quickly following Jace out into the lower ground foyer, heading towards the front staircase.