19 | see how the mother half lives

Start from the beginning

            Jensen shrugged. "To start."

            "And where's the end?" Miles let out a small snort of laughter as Rocky snored loudly on his shoulder. Always the worst at pretending he wasn't laughing.

            Jensen drew a deep breath in. "Isn't that what we're all trying to figure out?"

            "Why Kansas?"

            "End of the rainbow," Jensen said. "Maybe it's all just a dream. I don't know. It's... it's  somewhere. It's not here."

            "And running away is better than facing this?"

            "Running away is better than saying goodbye," Jensen said. "I'm not going to die surrounded by people feeling bad for me."

            "Some people would consider that love."

            "Love's for people who aren't borrowing time."

            "Do you fall in love in Kansas?"

            "Miles."

            "Sorry." Miles read the slide quickly. "Shit ton of direction. Um." Miles dropped the page he was reading. "Shit."

            Jensen carefully shifted Beckett in her arms so he could feed from her other side. She closed the side of her bra Beckett was finished with. "Kids in the room."

            "Sorry." Miles' eyes moved quickly as he read. "So... we're smoking. On a rooftop. I'm sure that's good for the cancer. Staring at a sunset. Blah. Blah. Blah. Um. I believe in love at all chances."

            "You weren't the one told you might have four months."

            "Four months?"

            "To a couple years." Jensen scoffed. "You know if you keep looking at me like that I'm not going to ask you to come with me."

            "You were going to ask?"

            "Road trip at the end of my life?" Jensen asked. "Could use some company."

            "Jensen Rhodes." Miles looked up at her from the side.

            Jensen's heart skipped a beat. "Did I get the line wrong?"

            "You know when you get this role," Miles started, "You're an Oscar winner. No competition. I can feel it."

            "I don't even have the part."

            "Academy Award Winner Jensen Rhodes suits you."

            "Please be serious."

            "I can't wait to be a trophy husband."

            "That's not what that means." Jensen shook her head. "And you have to say nice things."

            "Did I say that during Sparks Fly?"

            "Had we been together for six years with two kids at that point?"

            "Do I have a habit of lying to you?"

            "Is that the end of the scene?"

            Miles read the side again. "Thought you wanted to disappear."

            "Need someone to hold my hair back when I vomit." A smile pulled at the corner of Jensen's lips. She wasn't sure how convincingly coy she could be with a baby suckling on her. "Are you in?"