02 | away we go

"Is everything okay?" Miles poked his head in the door of the room like he was asking permission to enter. Which wasn't necessary considering it was his room too. He'd clearly gotten Rocky to sleep for her nap, so he probably deserved to lie down on their bed but couldn't because Jensen had covered it in clothes.

            Jensen looked up as she placed a folded shirt into her suitcase. "Why wouldn't it be?"

            "Considering I just got home with four jars of gherkins and there's a severe lack of you, them, and a can of frosting in the kitchen?" Miles asked. "Call it a wild guess."

            "Just because the baby wants it doesn't mean I want to eat it."

"I'll remember that next time we meet up for two in the morning dates to the kitchen." Miles swung the door open a little farther and leaned against the doorframe. Arms crossed, he said, "Really, Rhodes, you're packing for your trip."

            "Tends to happen when you have somewhere to go."

            "Almost six years together and I've never seen you pack before the night before," Miles said. "Did you magically get over your fear of flying and not tell me about it?"

            "I've been seeing a wizard actually," Jensen said.

            "A wizard?" Miles raised his eyebrows. "Wow."

            "Specializes in fears of flying. It's incredible."

            "Does this wizard have a name?"

            "Merlin... ia." Jensen felt herself dying in the hole she'd dug, but she was too far down to turn back.

            "Merlinia?"

            "You heard me." Jensen focused on folding another shirt.

            "And now you're looking forward to flying," Miles started, "because of Merlinia?"

            "More like I'm looking less forward to what happens after I land," Jensen said. She paused halfway to putting the shirt in her suitcase and looked at Miles with wide eyes.

            Miles smiled softly. A hint of sadness shone in his eyes. "There it is."

            "I don't appreciate the Jedi mind trick." Jensen pointed a finger at him for good measure.

            "Got you talking didn't it?" Miles asked. "What's bugging you?"

            "Everything."

            Miles walked into the room and stood on the opposite side of the bed from her. "Start with number one and we'll work from there."

            "I wish you could come with me."

            "If there was a way—"

"I know, babe. It's..." Jensen let out a sigh. "Nine hours is a long flight. And there's no way I'm going to be able to sleep through it with—" Jensen put her hand on her stomach.

            "I can try again but there was a resounding no the last time," Miles said, shaking his head. "Three years later and they're still mad at me for mysteriously going to Russia two months before my honeymoon."

            Jensen smiled softly and wrinkled her nose. "They'd be angrier if they knew it was your second honeymoon two months later."

            "When your fiancée says let's elope, you tend to not think about the angry men you'll see twice a year and just go with it," Miles said, grinning. "I'd do it again in a heartbeat."