Chapter 11 The Sorting Hat

Chapter 11

The Sorting Hat

Having grown quite sick of Pansy’s gossiping and bragging, I decided to join Draco along with Crabbe and Goyle as we got off the bus. However, the person I really wanted to find was Lenora. I could tell by the train ride, there was no way Pansy and I would be friends. She did not even seem to like me that much, probably because I didn’t side with her when she said those things about Lenora. Draco did not seem quite so bad next to her. He actually seemed to appreciate having me as a friend and despite the things he says, I still believed there was good in him.

I saw that same giant man, Hagrid, from Diagon Alley, calling the first years to follow him. I walked beside Draco in his direction.

“We shouldn’t have to take orders from a servant,” Draco muttered in disgust.

“He’s a servant?” I asked curiously remembering Aunt Becky only said he worked at the school. “I thought that’s what house elves were for.”

Draco snorted. “Dad told me that he got expelled from Hogwarts and is not aloud to use magic so his only option is to be a servant.”

“What did he get expelled for?”

Draco shrugged. “I dunno.”

“Hey, Chamberson! There you are!”

I turned around to see Lenora heading in our direction.

“Hey!” I returned the greeting, enthusiastically. “I was looking for you on the train, but I didn’t see you at all.”

She sighed and combed her long messy hair behind her shoulders. “Yeah, my dad forgot that he was suppose to take me to Kings Cross today so we barely made it in time. Anyway, I heard you got stuck on the train with pug-faced Pansy. That must have been dreadful!”

I rolled my eyes. “That’s an understatement. She spent most of the time gossiping and bragging about how her parents bought her these special designer dress robes.”

Lenora laughed. “We don’t even need dress robes. We’re first years! When would we ever where them? So I’ll bet she said something bad about me, didn’t she?”

“Well, um…” I considered my words carefully. I didn’t want to tell Lenora what Pansy said about her mother possibly being a muggle. That may just strike a nerve. “She only warned me that you are a trouble maker.”

Lenora giggled and winked at me. “She’s damn right about that.”

I laughed along with her.

We followed Hagrid to the lake where apparently we were supposed to board these boats and ride them to the castle. The giant man instructed only four people to each boat. Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and Lenora got into the boat. I sighed, dreading that I might get stuck with Pansy yet again.