Chapter 4 Goodbyes

Chapter 4

Goodbyes

As Aunt Becky and I walked back to my house, I continued to dread the next conversation we would have with my mother. I knew in my heart there was absolutely no way she would just let me go off to some faraway school to practice magic. Both of my parents despised everything to do with magic or anything supernatural for that matter.

“I think your mother would prefer we use the front door,” Aunt Becky commented as we arrived at my house.

“How else would we get in?” I asked curiously looking up at her.

She chuckled and replied, “Oh, Melanie, there is so much you have to learn about the wizardry world.”

Deciding it was best to save my questions for later, I rang the doorbell. My mother answered the door with the most furious expression on her face I have ever seen, but instead of looking at me she glared at her sister.

“How dare you take her out like this?” Mother fumed. “Do you know I worried I’ve been, not knowing where my own daughter was?”

Despite Mom’s shouting, my aunt remained calm as she spoke, “Now, Livy. I don’t know why you’re so upset. I sent you a letter explaining Melanie was with me and there was no need to worry.”

“You sent her a letter?” I asked.

“Yes, I had an owl drop one off the moment you left your home,” Aunt Becky explained. “I wasn’t about to let your mother worry not knowing where you are.”

This did not ease Mother’s anger. “My daughter’s disappears and you expect me to take comfort in a letter delivered by an owl?”

“Why, yes, Livy.” Aunt Becky still spoke solemnly. “You know very well that’s how we communicate. Now its probably best we continue the rest of our discussion inside.”

“Melanie’s coming in,” Mother replied grabbing my arm with force, “and you’re leaving. Goodbye, Becky.”

Aunt Becky had no intention of going anywhere. “Now, is that any way to treat your own sister? After all, it’s been over ten years since we’ve last seen each other. Besides, we need to talk about your daughter’s future.”

“You have nothing to do with Melanie’s future!” Mother retorted with bitterness.

“I think you’ll find you will indeed need me, especially now that Melanie knows who she really is.” Aunt Becky put her hand on the door to prevent Mother from shutting it. “Now we can discuss Melanie’s special abilities out here in the open, or you can let me come inside.”

Finally Mother yielded, holding the door wider, allowing Aunt Becky to enter our home.

“You keep this place very clean,” Aunt Becky commented as she observed the inside of our house for the first time.

The house did appear well kept with no visible dust, the couch looking as though no one has ever sat on it, and our family portrait hanging above the fireplace in perfect alignment.

“We have a housemaid,” Mother muttered with gritted teeth. “I don’t suppose you have anything of the sort.”

“We would never have another wizard to our chores,” Aunt Becky responded. “We still have our same house elf, Tinker. You remember, right? It’s the same house elf we both grew up with.”

Instead of responding, Mother changed the subject. “Why don’t you tell me why you feel the need to take my daughter away from me?”

“Oh, relax, Livy. It’s not permanent,” Aunt Becky explained. “She can still spend her summers with you. The only reason I’m taking her at the beginning of this summer is so that she can get a feel of the magical world before school starts.”

Mother then turned to face me. “Melanie, I want you to go upstairs.”

“But Mum, I want to stay and listen!” I protested. “After all, it is me you are discussing.”

“Do as I say!” Mother ordered sternly.

“It’s probably better you do go upstairs, Melanie,” Aunt Becky added, offering a sympathetic smile.

“Fine,” I grumbled as I began to furiously trot upstairs.

Just as before when I listened in on my parents, I left my bedroom door open a crack to I could hear. Unfortunately, this time it was much more difficult since they resumed the discussion in softer voices.

I heard something about magic and how it was apart of me. I think Mother said something about Hogwarts being a school for freaks. Aunt Becky then said something about how Mother can’t change who I am. Then Mother adds something, which sounded like she thought she was given this child because the child was like her.

Wait, that doesn’t make since, I thought confused. Given a child? I must have heard that wrong.

A moment later, I heard my father’s voice. “Hey Liv, Melanie, I’m… Liv, what’s she doing here?”

“Shhh!” Mother hushed while I rolled my eyes in annoyance. I really should be apart of this discussion and my aunt better not leave without me, especially after revealing all this to me.

This became impossible. No longer, could I make out any words. I guess I just have no choice but to wait.

After what seemed like an hour, I finally heard my father call, “Melanie! Could you please come down here?”

Without any hesitation, I ran rapidly down the stairs back to our family room. I then found Father standing by the fire, gazing at our portrait, Aunt Becky sitting on the easy chair, smiling at me, and Mother sitting alone on the couch looking down. When she lifted her head up, her eyes sparkled with tears. I felt a lump form in my throat, as I knew this might be goodbye.

“Melanie,” Mother began. “Your aunt is right. Magic is apart of you and none of us can change that. Its who you are.”

I walked over to the couch and sat beside her. She then grasped my hands firmly and continued, “I want you to understand that no one is forcing you to do anything. If you want to learn how to use magic, then its best you go with your Aunt Becky. If you don’t wish to, then you can stay here and continue your life as before. It’s your decision.”

I thought for a moment, not letting go of Mother’s hands, while looking over to my father, who just smiled at me sadly, and answered quietly, “I want to go with Aunt Becky.”

When neither of my parents spoke I continued, “I’m sorry, Mum, Dad. It’s just that I never felt like I belonged here. I know I have friends, but I still felt like an outsider, or as some people say, a freak.”

“You’re not a freak, Melanie,” Mother protested. “Don’t listen to what some of those other kids say.”

I only smiled. “All mothers say that.”

She returned my smile as I hugged her tightly then hugging my father as well. We had one final family dinner, my aunt included. It was kind of a bitter suite moment. I could not help but feel excited and anxious about learning what I can do with magic, but at the same time I knew it would be a very long time before I would see my parents again.

After dinner, I went upstairs to pack my belongings, exchanged one final, heartsick farewell with my parents and then departed with my Aunt Becky to begin my new life.