Chapter 3 Aunt Becky

Chapter 3

Aunt Becky

That night was probably the worst I had slept in my entire life. I could not stop thinking about yesterday with the snake, my parent's conversation, and my Aunt Becky. I could not wait to me her though I had no idea what she would be like.

Not only did the night go by slowly, but the next morning as well. As usual, I ate breakfast with both of my parents and then my father left for work, while my mother stayed home and watched daytime soap operas. Luckily for me, she gets so drawn into these shows, she probably will not come check on me for a while so it should be fairly simple to sneak out and meet my aunt.

When I went back into my room I found that the owl had brought me another note. This time there was a picture as well.

I doubt your mother has shown you any pictures of me so here's one so you will know what I look like.

I can't believe I have not thought of this until now. To my shock, when I picked up the picture, I observed my aunt smiling and waving. She appeared to actually be moving! How is this possible?

Okay, calm down, I thought to myself. This is not even close to the strangest thing that has happened to me recently. I'll just have to ask Aunt Becky about this picture when I see her.

I then realized that it's almost noon, which means that I better go ahead and start walking to the Diner Café. Luckily, this restaurant was just outside my neighborhood so it didn't take long for me to get there.

When I arrived, I almost immediately spotted Aunt Becky standing right outside the restaurant. She didn't dress at all like I would imagine a possible witch to dress with her white leather pants and jacket. Her golden blonde curly hair went just past her shoulders. It's strange really. It seems like I'm the only one in my family that has dark brown hair since both of my parents have blonde hair as well.

The moment Aunt Becky's eyes met mine she smiled. I wonder how she knows that it's me. I continued to walk towards her.

"Why hello, Melanie!" she spoke, brightly. "It's so wonderful to finally meet you. Come. There is a lot we have to talk about."

I briefly said hello and then followed her in the restaurant.

Once we sat down at our table, she ordered a cup of coffee and I ordered a chocolate shake.

She then began our conversation with, "So Melanie, what exactly has your mother told you about me?"

I pondered for a moment and then answered, "Not much, really. She just told me that you and your husband have a much different lifestyle."

"That's true indeed," Aunt Becky smiled, as she let out a tiny chuckle. "I'll bet she never told you what I really am and what that has to do with you."

I just shook my head and inquired, "What is it that you are? Am I the same as you?"

She looked into my eyes. "I'm a witch, Melanie, and you are one as well."

As shocking as these words seemed to me, I could not help but feel that everything was starting to make sense, especially the snake incident.

I still had to make sure. "If you're really a witch, then show me something magical."

I expected her to say no and tell me that this will have to wait until I'm ready, something a typical adult would say, but instead she merely nodded and said, "Very well then."

She pulled out a wand and pointed it at the table next to us. At that very moment, the table lit on fire. When Aunt Becky observed my shocked expression, she smiled with satisfaction then waved the wand once again to put out the fire. The table appeared to be unaffected by the flames.

Aunt Becky turned her head back to me, amused by my reaction. "You didn't expect me to actually do it, did you?"

Still shocked, I shook my head and then realized something. "How is it no one else noticed the fire."

"Once you become a skilled enough witch or wizard you can control what you want muggles to see."

"Muggles?"

"People unable to perform magic," she explained.

"Are both my parents muggle?"

"Yes," Aunt Becky began to nod but then considered, "Well, actually your mother is the only non magical member our the family. We call those who have magical parents but they themselves are not magical, squibs."

That explains why my mother hates magic so much. It was have been difficult growing up in a home were every member, including your older sibling, could practice magic, except for you. I felt a twinge of pity for my mother, but that's no excuse for keeping this from me.

"I want to learn how to use magic," I declared suddenly. "Will you teach me?"

My mind filled up with excitement over the possibilities. Not one of my classmates would dare cross me again. I scarred off Jordan Scott by just talking to a snake. I wonder what else I can do. I can't wait to tell Dudley this. He's going to be so impressed.

Aunt Becky seemed to notice my enthusiasm. "I'm glad to see how well you're excepting this. Actually, I won't be the one teaching you how to use magic. There's a school for that, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardly."

My eyes grew larger as I gaped at her. "There's a school?"

She nodded, "Yes, you will attend that instead of your muggle school."

My enthusiasm dropped. "I'm not sure Mom will go for that. What about my friends? Will I still get to see them so I can show them what I can do?"

"You just leave your mother to me. As for showing magic to your friends, you should know that Hogwarts has a very strict rule against underage witches and wizards using magic."

My heart sank. If I couldn't prove it, no one would believe that I'm really a witch. Everyone, including Dudley, would just think I've lost my mind, and so much for my revenge. In the eyes of this world, I would still be a freak. But then I realized, if I do go to this school, Hogwarts, then I'll be around other witches and wizards like myself. There, I would not be a freak. I would be just like everyone else. As much as I will miss Dudley and the rest of the gang, I guess I can always make new friends.

Aunt Becky was very patient with me, giving me time to ponder all this new information over. "Have you decided what you want to do?"

I made up my mind. "I want to go to Hogwarts."

"Wonderful!" She beamed. "Now, Melanie, you will have options. During the school year, Hogwarts provides a place for you to stay on their grounds. On the holidays, you can stay at home with your parents, come live with your uncle and me, or split between the two. What would you like to do?"

I definitely wanted to stay with my Aunt Becky at least some of the time. That I knew for sure. After a few moments of thought I finally said, "I guess I'll wait and see how my mother takes this."

As the two of us walked back to my house, I felt a lump in my throat. Never in my life have I dreaded an encounter with my mother the way I do now.

A/N: I know my cast choice for Aunt Becky must seem pretty random, but what can I say? She's the closest resemblence to how I imagined her. Hope you all are still enjoying my story!