Chapter Thirteen

All afternoon I thought of the guy that Eiichi had been talking to. Was he really not as bad as I thought? No. Impossible. The last time I trusted someone to be a mere friend I had my back stabbed and heart shattered. I just didn't want to get hurt again. Or at the very least, have Eiichi get hurt the way I had.

It started two years ago. I was so young, and stupidly naive. In my first year of middle school, I had met this girl. If I had to describe her at the time, an angel. In my eyes she was an angel sent straight from the gods. Kind, beautiful, lovable. Nothing about her was to be disliked. We had become friends not too long after we met. We instantly clicked. It stayed that way until my second and last year of junior high. That was when I had finally told her how I felt. And she returned those feelings back.

Everything seemed perfect. Looking back, a little too perfect. We went out often, we shared a mutual "love" and so much more. In the beginning of our first year of high school, she started becoming more distant. At first, I thought it was because we were growing up. We were not in middle school anymore, right? Ha. What a joke.

I never thought too much on the fact that the angelic female and I were seeing each other less and she constantly was making other plans. It continued that way until Hisa and Akemi finally spoke to me about it. That was when reality wasn't being ignored by my stupidity.

Akemi and Hisa hadn't had a proper conversation on how odd my girlfriend's behavior was, they just gave me a simple "just watch out, she could be hiding something." And moved on to different topics of discussion. I didn't think too much on what words had just sputtered out of their mouth, I trusted her. That was enough for me. However, a week after they had given me their warning, Hisa had shown me an image he had taken when going to a local cafe.

When Hisa and I met up with her at our arranged meeting place, she had that same phony smile that charmed her way into my heart. Her eyes still looked so kind. But not at me. That was the day I learned how much eyes can lie. How much they can deceive. I didn't say a word to her. At least not to her first.

Damn liar.

I heard myself getting louder and my anger only growing, "why? If you weren't happy you could've just said so! I trusted you and loved you and you just stabbed me in the back?!"

"Kaito... you're honestly too idiotic. Come on, did you trust me that much? Did you think this would last?"

Her voice almost sounded sinister. Her tone changed in a matter of seconds and she was no longer an angel. More so, she was a fallen one. I'd realized in that moment how much she had lied and manipulated me. She left without another word, leaving me hurt and confused. She hadn't a single ounce of regret in her. I can't say I was angry or saddened by this, I was more so numb.

Life seemed numb past that point. I smiled and hid my pain. But when I met Eiichi, he had that angelic aura on him too. He had gotten my attention, but I still struggle within myself to fully open up and trust him. That struggle didn't last long though, instead of me opening up first, he did so first. He showed me the best of him before I did. But after seeing the new student... would my trust be betrayed again? Would I get hurt again?