CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Grady asked for the millionth time, standing in the doorway to Sophie's room as she fastened a cape to her shoulders.

"No," Sandor grumbled before Sophie could reply.

She rolled her eyes. "Actually, for once, yes! We have the upper hand, we have something that Lady Gisela won't be expecting!"

"It just seems so sudden," Grady said. "I mean you only came up with this... what? Yesterday?"

"Two days ago," Sophie corrected. "And we didn't pick the time. Lady Gisela did― we didn't get a choice."

"Actually, you did," Grady pointed out. "You don't have to go."

Sophie took a moment to respond. "It's Keefe's best shot," she replied.

Grady sighed.

"Sophie?" A new voice asked. Sophie turned to see that Edaline had joined Grady in the doorway.

"Someone's here," Edaline said, with a smug sort of smile that, for some reason, made Sophie's insides squirm.

"Who is it?" Sophie asked, pulling on one of her boots.

To answer her question, yet another figure appeared in the doorway. Keefe.

"Hey, Foster," Keefe said with a smirk.

"Oh, hey!" Sophie replied, finally managing to get one boot on.

"We'll just leave the two of you be," Edaline said with a sly grin, pulling an annoyed Grady away from the doorway.

"Um... sorry about that," Sophie said, not sure why she was blushing at her adoptive parents' behavior.

Keefe grinned even wider. "It's cool."

Sophie looked back down at the other boot she was struggling to tug on, hoping Keefe wouldn't see the pink in her cheeks.

"Wow, struggling much?" Keefe asked.

"Shut up," Sophie replied, in an effort to hide her embarrassment. Stupid boot. 

"Woah, someone's feisty today. Here, lemme help." Keefe bent down next to her and gave the boot and all-mighty tug. Sophie felt her foot slip into place.

"Thanks," Sophie muttered, her face incredibly warm. She reached for the laces, but Keefe beat her to it, tying a perfect bow.

"There," Keefe announced, looking back up at her.

Sophie lifted her own gaze, too, probably about to say something to fuel Keefe's teasing even more.

But the words stuck in her throat when she realized how close they were. Her eyes widened, and Keefe's expression seemed to mirror her own.

Sophie stood up quickly, desperate to put some distance between them. Unfortunately, Keefe seemed to be thinking along the same lines, and stood up at the same time, which somehow rendered them even closer than before. Sophie couldn't seem to move, frozen by shock.

And for a second, a half a second, Sophie could've sworn that Keefe glanced down at her lips.

Then someone cleared their throat, and Sophie and Keefe jumped apart.

"COME ON, GIGANTOR!" Ro exclaimed, slapping Sandor in the chest so hard it left a pink mark there.

"What?" Sandor replied innocently.

Ro rolled her eyes, looking as furious as Sophie had ever seen her. "This close. We were this close!"

"Close to what?" Sophie asked, looking anywhere but Keefe.