One - Willa

The answer to my father's wishes had become my worst nightmare, in the most unexpected way. Never in a million years, or perhaps the better term, a million universes, could I have guessed I'd be clinging to the arm of my best friend on a spaceship bound for galaxies unknown to me. I could take a million guesses at where these atrocious Ironhides were taking us—or what they planned to do with those they'd abducted—but something told me a billion guesses wouldn't be enough to get it right.

My stomach coiled with a mixture of fear and desperation when everything in the shuttle closet Isaiah and I were huddled in shifted, pinning something sharp against my side. With a gasp, my fingernails dug a little deeper into Isaiah's forearm.

"Ouch," he whispered, leaning closer into me. "Leave some skin, please."

"Oh, sorry." Without hesitation, I yanked my hand from his arm and balled my hands into fists instead. I fought against the pain, struggling to push the shaft of metal aside. I couldn't be sure what it was used for, but it's sleek sheath was covered with a sort of resin that pricked like barbed wire.

A torture device. My stomach did a summersault as thoughts of the worst kind reeled in my mind. Some kind of club of persuasion. God, what would they do to us if they found us on their ship...as stowaways...intent on freeing their captives? We'd die for sure—if we hadn't already secured that fate for ourselves.

"Fine idea you had," he said, "to hop on some alien spaceship to get your sister back."

"I couldn't stand by and do nothing." A muscle in my jaw twitched. "I will get Della back, Isaiah."

Isaiah's dark eyes glistened in the thin stream of light reflecting through the narrow crack in the closed door. The sound of footsteps in the hallway outside caused Isaiah to tense. I did too. His breathing intensified almost as much as mine. "It wasn't supposed to go this way." His voice fractured. "Get Della off the spacecraft and escape before they departed; that's how this was supposed to go."

My stomach tightened. "I know." With pursed lips, I continued. "I admit, I didn't consider what might happen if they took off before we made it off the ship."

Another lurch.

My one good elbow smacked against the inner wall of the closet, and I held back a groan.

"Obviously."

Even in the dimness of the light the frown on Isaiah's swarthy face glowed, kindling to life a worry I hoped to keep buried deep inside me. At least until we landed. Until I had to face the enemy with the iron hide who stole my sister right off my street, while I was lying in bed moping around over the stupid fact that I didn't get a single valentine from the boy I liked. And while Mom, all lonely and depressed, cried in front of the television like pretty much everyone else left on Earth did. Stupid lingering traditions. There wasn't a single one, that people were happy to celebrate anymore. But what everyone else did wasn't the issue here. I should've been with Della so they couldn't take her, not feeling sorry for myself in bed. I wouldn't fail her again. I couldn't.

She's my sister, my responsibility.

"I know what you're thinking," said Isaiah.

The weight on my chest lightened a little. My best-friend and next-door neighbor since kindergarten, Isaiah Ross always knew what to say to make me feel better. But his supportive ways wouldn't work now. I'd gotten him into this mess, too. "You couldn't have prevented Della's capture. They would've taken you too." His whisper became a grumble. "Although I'm not happy about it, sneaking on board might've been the best move. Granted they don't find us, we can free Della and go home."