27

"You can go see her now."

"Is she awake?"

Dr. Smith nodded slowly, a smile creeping onto her lips. I felt like crying again. "Hop up, Calum. You'll be a little dizzy since you haven't stood in several hours and your head is still tender."

I immediately stood from the bed and walked out, ignoring the slight dizziness I felt. The grape juice I drank only helped a little.

Ashton ran after me, putting a hand on my shoulder as we walked to help stabilize me. I felt giddy but I was also dreading seeing her now. We had to tell her what was wrong with her. I wasn't ready for that.

Luke ran up next to us, a small laugh coming out of his mouth. He must be as excited as I was.

It wasn't until we stepped into the hallway she was in that we heard the screaming. "Where is he?! Dad, you have to go get him, I can't do this by myself!" Valentyne's cries were loud and broke my heart. I started running to her.

I stepped into the doorway of her room to find her fighting the nurse, trying her best to unhook herself from the machines to get off the bed. She looked up, her green eyes meeting mine. She gasped and stopped everything.

"Cal!" She yelled happily. I pushed myself to walked over to sit next to her, instantly hugging her frail body. She started to cry and I rubbed her back, whispering that everything was alright now.

"You had me worried sick," I told her when I pulled away. I stroked her cheek with my thumb. "You were asleep for hours."

The nurse swatted at us, her mad expression almost making me laugh. "You'll mess up the wires. Please be careful."

Val laughed quietly, tears streaking her cheeks. "Sorry." I wiped her tears and went to stand up, but she took ahold of my arm, making me stay next to her.

The nurse sighed. "Be extra careful, Valentyne. I don't care how cute the two of you are, if you unhook a single wire, I'll kick everyone out of this room."

"I'll be ultra careful, Ms. Cohen." Val flashed a smile that always made me forgive her. She'd smile like that when she knew she was in trouble.

The nurse left and I held Val's face between my hands. "Are you okay?" I asked softly, feeling bad that I didn't ask her sooner.

"Yeah, but I don't understand. Why are we still here? They said they can't let me go yet and that you passed out. Are you okay?" She lightly touched the side of my head and I winced. "Sorry."

"I'm fine, I got a little bump is all." Her face took on a confused expression when Jo came to stand behind us. He must've looked scared becasue she was suddenly anxious by all the staring eyes in the room. Ashton and Luke were watching her as well from the other side of the bed.

"What's going on?" She looked at each of us and settled her gaze back on me. "Did they figure out what was wrong with me?"

Jo took a deep breath and exhaled with a sob. "Sweetheart, they found out what it was."

Her face lit up. "Great! Now I can hurry and get better. I'm going to be so happy when I'm not hurting all the time."

"No, honey," Ash stepped up and took her hand. "It's going to take a while for you to get better."

I didn't know how to handle the timid look in her eyes. "Why? What's wrong with me? Cal, what is it?"

I swallowed loudly. "They did some tests, V, and... there's something wrong with you that may take a long time to fix." I started to cry. "It might not get fixed."