32

I slumped down in my chair and sighed. Calum was walking through the lunchline and I watched as he chatted with Ashton and Michael. He looked happy and I couldn't help but feel the exact opposite.

"Why do you look so down, Val?" Luke sat next to me and flicked my thigh.

I put my chin on my fist. I had no idea how to answer him. A strained heart, an overbearing feeling of hopelessness, and on top of everything, finals were approaching too fast. Not to mention the stress from Calum's continuous arguments. "I don't know."

Luke's hair danced due to the warm wind and he absent-mindedly flicked it out of his face. There were dark clouds in the sky and thunder boomed in the distance.

Michael bit off a celery stick and pointed it at me as he sat down. "I know what you need."

"What do you mean?"

Luke wrinkled his nose. "Ew, I hate that song."

Michael rolled his eyes. "I mean, you need to hang out with us after school. We're going bowling and we'll probably grab a bite to eat afterwards. What do you say, Val?"

It did sound better than sitting at home by myself all day. "Sure. Calum's going to Tyler's house after school for some science project anyway."

They both smiled. "It's settled then," Michael said. "I am so gonna kick your ass."

Luke laughed. "Mikey, you suck at bowling."

The green-haired boy frowned. "I don't suck," he muttered. He cleared his throat and leaned back in his chair, resting his ankles on the table. "Whatever. I bet I could still beat Val."

Luke and I shared a look. "Sure, buddy."

Ashton fell into the chair next to Michael. He was wearing glasses today, thick black frames perched on his nose. His hair wasn't styled and sat in a curly mess on his head. "What's going on?"

Michael stared at him with a grin. "What?"

"You're looking at me weird." He leaned away from him and shoved a french fry in his mouth, talking through his food. "Get away from me, Michael."

"Then tell me, Ash. What is that on your face?"

Ashton looked confused and then his face relaxed. "Oh. I lost my contacts."

Michael was still smiling. "Give me them."

Ashton pushed him away. "No. Go away."

We watched as their little fight escalated. Ashton eventually ran from the table with Michael right on his heels.

Luke turned to me. "Have you talked to Calum?"

"Yeah, he drove me to school this morning," I said with furrowed brows.

"Not just chit-chat," he said and rolled his eyes. He perched his elbow on the table and rested his chin on his fist. "I meant about anything we talked about the other day."

I shook my head. I was scared to bring it up with him. I kept wondering if the whole thing was a joke and that Luke and Michael made up to mess with me, but deep down I knew they were serious.

"Good."

"Don't you want me to bring it up?"

His eyes widened and he quickly shook his head. "No. No, don't say anything about it. He'd kill me if he knew I told you. I wasn't suppose-"

He shut his mouth into a thin line as Calum approached the table. "We'll talk about this later."

I was about to respond but Calum asked, "talk about what later?" He sat down on the other side of me and looked at Luke expectantly.