1

CHAPTER 1

Memories in Linz

"YOU UNGRATEFUL AND SELFISH BOY!" Frau Lindeberg boomed at the top of her voice, looking like a mighty thunderous tiger under the sky

"YOU UNGRATEFUL AND SELFISH BOY!" Frau Lindeberg boomed at the top of her voice, looking like a mighty thunderous tiger under the sky. "Get out!"

August went down the steps and lifted his right arm in the air. As soon as he pointed his forefinger to the sky, it seemed as if he had done a blasphemous thing before her.

"As you wish." He bowed while raising his hat, twisting a grin from the corners of his mouth.

Frau Lindeberg shook her head with her fiery eyes, too stunned by the spectacle.

"Insolence! It's my fate you were born to make a complete mockery of me." She pointed her forefinger at her son. "I pray that God Almighty will punish you, August. May He teach you a lesson so that you will atone for your mistakes. Mark my words, you will learn how I am the cure of your sorrow. I've always been there for you, August, ever since you were in my womb for nine dreadful months!"

"Yes, yes. Go on, mama. I will not stand here and waste my time just to listen to your blathering. I'll say my farewell, since I will go, really."

"Curse you, curse you," She cried in mingled pain and wrath as if to voice out those oppressive years of motherhood. "Oh, I shall never forgive you until the day you plead for my forgiveness."

August knew those words by heart and to his own surprise, the words did not crush him anymore.

"Is that so? Not sure if you will ever forgive me even in your last breath."

She ignored his remark and stormed out the front door. A minute later, she returned with a stack of papers and paintings.

"Here's your old artwork." Frau Lindeberg threw them down with force until the canvases slid down the steps. "I told you to sell it long ago, but you didn't, so I let you keep these anyway."

August Lindeberg had stooped to pick up a heap of his artworks, piled it up in his arms while holding his grudge.

"Serves you right!" She roared in great fury, as the sound in her throat shot his eardrums.

There was a period of silence while the clouds proceeded to coil together in the horizon beneath the dusky sunset, waiting for the world to prance away from the melodramatic scene of mother and son which was clear their relationship would be hard to mend.

The moment she had left the threshold and shut the door behind with a slam that went straight to his heart, August knew he would leave and never come back.

On the same day, he seemed ready to go far away from his hometown. But before he had gone off to the train station, he slipped outside to seek refuge in the Danube bridge. It was the last time he would ever have a stroll and linger over the bank.