I'm sorry.

"I do't know." I swallow, "I'll have to think about it. You two need a place to sleep. We have a pullout couch, and someone could sleep in my room."

As I say these words, the door opens, and Lavinia's voice shouts,

"HOOOOME. I picked up the rations for the week." She turns the corner, and stands there, in shocked silence, staring at Alexander and Daisy.

"You-" She stutters.

"Yes, yes, I'm alive." Smiles Daisy, "Assistant, you shouldn't be so shocked, it has happened before you-" But Lavinia cuts her off, by slapping her face.

"YOU BITCH!" Shouts Lavinia in her face, "I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD, WE ALL DID!"

I cannot help but smile. Someone had to slap her.

"Oh, hello Alexander." Lavinia peers at him, "Kettles on the stove, make me a cuppa?"

"Sure." Alexander stutters.

***

Daisy shares a bed with me, and Alexander takes the pullout. We whisper to each other, and for a moment it seems like old times, when we would share a bed at Uncle Felix's.

"What is it like?" She whispers in my ear.

"Awful." I smile, weakly, glad of the darkness, so she cannot see the unshed tears in my eyes.

"Hazel, I-I'm sorry." She curls her hand around mine, and I know she means it.

"It'll be okay." I sniff.

"Heroines don't die Hazel. And you and me, we're the heroines of this story."

We fall asleep, and I dream of the orient express, the steam curling up, and a blond haired boy, smiling at me...