After the library.

School was awful without daisy. All of the dorm and Amina knew, but no one else did.

Alexander still wrote to me but, our letters were less light hearted. His father wanted him to come home, to manage the coal mining business, and alexander had no excuse to stay. Except me.

The next two years were odd, but manageable, until the war hit. 

We had just finished school, and were ready to go to university. Me and Alexander had been accepted into Cambridge. George was going to Oxford and Daisy was still a spy. Kitty was to be a debutante, Beanie a nurse and Lavinia was, well, Lavinia.

Then the war happened. Daisy was sent to Germany, because of her perfect german, Beanie became a nurse with the red cross, and was sent to France. George was sent undercover to the Netherlands, an Alexander, was sent to the front line. I was at Bletchely park, as well as university. Before our lives seperated forever we made that promise...

Christmas Eve, 1939, Cambridge:

"We can't lose each other." Squeaked a terrified looking Beanie, "I wouldn't be able to bare it. I should..." she paused to search for the right words, "I should die!"

"Heroines don't die." Daisy sniffed.

"Says the girl who is legally dead." laughed George. Daisy snorted indignantely.

"I'll tell you what." Smiled Alexander, "Since I'm the one in the most intimate danger,"

"Are you referring to the war or the fact that you're sitting next to Daisy," I giggled, trying not to feel scared, of what was to come. Alexander eyed Daisy warily.

"Both. I think that we should promise that in three years time, we'll be here. In this cafe."

We all agreed before saying our goodbyes. Before he left Alexander left he pulled me aside.

"Hazel, I think we should talk about...us." He whispered.

I nod, knowing that sooner or later, we had to discuss it.

"I love you Haz, so much. And I want to be with you, I do. But..." he trails off so i speak for him.

"You don't want me to wait for you, incase you don't," I gulp, "come back."

He nods and i sniff.

"Thats not your decision to make Alex. I will wait for you, whether it takes weeks, months or even years fo me to see you again. I don't care. If you don't come back, I will wait my whole life to find you, or I'll die trying. because i love you. So leave. Just know that WHEN you get back I'll be here, waiting."

I kiss him, for what may be the last time. I try to make it say all the things i cannot. When I pull away i can feel tears pouring down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry." He mutters.

"For what?" I ask.

"If I had told you sooner, we could have had more time. Maybe things would have been different. I don't know. But if  get back, and you still love me, we can go back to this, just, not now."

He leaves. That was three years ago.