The End of It

When I awoke, I forgot the end of the evening for one, awful moment. All I could remember was that no one had come to the cafe.

For one instant, it felt as though all the air had left my body, and my lungs were crushed.

And then, Daisy sniffles in her sleep, and I can hear Alexander laugh in his sleep, and I remember everything.

We all get up before nine, and sit around the breakfast table, eating, silently.

"Daisy..." I start, and then stop.

"I don't, don't know what..." she sighs.

"Aunt Lucy." Lavinia looks up, and nods curtly, and I realise she's right.

Aunt Lucy can fix this.

And there's only one way to securely insure the message reaches Aunt Lucy.

To take it there ourselves. And I only know one person who I can trust with a motor car.

***

"Bit of an upgrade from the horse, eh?" Daisy elbows Amanda affectionately.

"Ah, well, couldn't ride a bike to london."

And that, as they say, was the end of that.

We delivered the message, Daisy went to Egypt to.. well..

Lavinia and George got married in 1945.

Kitty finally wrote to me, and we visited Beanie.

Beanie fell asleep shortly after our visit, and when she woke up, she remembered.

And, Aunt Lucy...

Well, Aunt Lucy went on holiday one day. To the sea. And as she sat on the sand, she saw a someone. A man. He smiled, and she smiled back. That man walked over, and sat with her a while. It took her a while to stop crying.

 Uncle Felix and Lucy had three children, and lived very long lives.

And as for Alexander and I...

We're getting married tomorrow.

And here's something Daisy doesn't know yet:

I'm pregnant.

- FIN -