Heated And Flushed

Lying in the center of the bed, was Nagito. His eyes were clenched shut, skin paler than usual, body drenched in sweat. 

   "Nagito!" I exclaim, rushing to his side. I touch my hand to his forehead. He's burning up good! He's got a fever. "Kaede!" I call frantically over my shoulder. Ah, but it seems as I was too loud when I notice that he weakly blinks his eyes open.

   "Hajime?" He murmurs. I quickly shush him, watching Kaede race into the room.

   "Hajime, what's wrong?" She demands, appearing by my side.

   "He has a fever," I answer, "if it's a part of his lymphoma, should we take him to the hospital?"

   "I don't need to go to the hospital," He interrupts, "it's just a little fever."

   Kaede and I exchange skeptical looks. "I'll consult Shuichi. He always know what to do." She decides.

   "Do that." I agree. Kaede nods dutifully before departing from the room. I turn my worried gaze back down at Nagito. "Maybe you should sit up and start getting ready to go the hospital." I suggest. He firmly shakes his head 'no.' 

   "I'm fine. And since when am I going to the hospital? I'm just going to go home." He responds bitterly. 

   "No way. If you're not going to the hospital then you're not going anywhere else, at least not in this condition. If anything, you're staying in my bed." I scold. He smiles slightly.

   "Hmm. You made me stay here last night too." He says thoughtfully, staring at the ceiling. I clench his wrist.

   "Say more right now!" I demand in my best John Mulaney voice. He chuckles softly.

   "If you don't remember, I won't remind you. I'd rather save you the embarrassment." He responds.

   "Tell me!"

   "Nah."

   "Nagito!"

   "HaJiMe?!" He replies in a mocking voice. I roll my eyes at him.

   "I actually made a mental list of all the glorious things you said to me last night." He tells me.

   "Go on."

   "dfjnfdknglfdgmf Nagito I'm gonna eat your soul! fdjkngjgfjng we should make out! Let's have sex KoKo!" He says in a high pitched voice. It takes all my strength and willpower not to slap him, those were apparently my words after all. Additionally, how did he say 'dfjnfdknglfdgmf' and 'fdjkngjgfjng' out loud?

   I swallow nervously. Did anything...happen?" I question, trying to phrase my sentence nicely. He smiles a sickening smug smile.

   "Ah...you kept kissing me. I had to shove you off the bed several times. But how troubling, I hope you didn't catch my then-brewing fever through that." He mumbles.

   My face turns bright red. I'm never ever drinking again for the rest of my life, holy shit.

   "I, err, I'm sorry about that then, Nagito. I don't know what came over me." I mutter. He laughs.

   "No true harm done, Hajime. I quite enjoyed it." Nagito replies in a teasing tone. Before I can retort Kaede pops her head back into the hall.

   "Hajime, a word?" She requests.

   "Of course," I glance at Nagito, "I'll return."

   "Um-hmm, I'll be waiting."

   I exit my room, shutting the door behind me. Kaede and Shuichi are standing in the hallway. Kaede is standing up straight while Shuichi is slouched against the wall. The blonde nudges his shoulder.

   "Tell him what you told me." She prompts. Shuichi sighs.

   "I don't think he needs to go to the hospital for the fever," He informs me, "As long as it doesn't last too long it should be fine."

  I nod. "Understood. Thank you, Shu. I'd like to keep him here to watch over him, if that's alright. He seems pretty weak right now and like he wouldn't really be able to care for himself." I respond. Kaede nods in agreement.

   "I was thinking the same thing. Glad we covered that. Now I'm going to make breakfast and kick everyone else out." She says.

   I cock my head to the side. "Do either of you have any idea how Kyoko and Makoto ended up in the tub like...that?" I wonder. Kaede and Shuichi shudder in sync.

   "Don't know, don't want to know."

================================================================================

   It takes a bit of coaxing but eventually I get Nagito to agree to stay with us until his fever goes down. I'm his primary caretaker, making sure he keeps resting and drinking lots of fluids. I was also the one who made arrangements for me and Nagito to get a few days off. Makoto and Ibuki can manage just fine without us for a while, I believe.

   Neither of us bring up what happened while I was drunk. But Makoto's words from a little while ago keep playing in my head throughout the days.

   "Come on, Nagito clearly likes you too, better than me. And you like him too, right? Come on, Hajime, are you really as dense as I hear? Open your eyes."

   It would be the most logical thing to discuss Makoto's account once he's recovered right? I've got to know whether that's true or not.

================================================================================

On the fifty-seventh day, Nagito decides he's ready to go home.

   "Are you certain you're feeling better?" I demand as we stand in front of the door. Nagito chuckles.

   "I'm fine, don't worry." He replies before leaning in and pressing a kiss to my cheek. "Thank you for caring for me." He murmurs in my ear before pulling away a few inches to look at my face that has turned pink.

   We both stare at each other for a moment before we both move forward slightly, connecting in the middle. I lean into him, throwing my arms around his neck. He responds by doing the same thing with my waist, tugging me closer.

   A few moments pass before we both pull away from each other, gasping for air. Both of us are extremely flustered even though both of us both so clearly wanted this. I extend my hand and we share the most awkward handshake ever.

   "Komaeda."

   "Hinata."

   He then disappears out the door before I can even blink, leaving me dazed and confused.