Back To Square One

(This story is more popular on Ao3 ahahaha) (This chapter was really fun to write.)

   The fifteenth day I awaken with some scary thoughts. Did the Queen really mess with Nagito's emotions? You can't really just snap your fingers and make someone hate another person, right? I suppose I'll find out at work today. 

   I heave myself out of bed slowly, cursing that I have to live with a form that gets sleepy a little while longer. 

   My stomach growls.

   ...And gets hungry. But with Kaede's amazing cooking I don't mind as much. I wonder what she's making today...

   I dress quickly, racing around my room, trying to ignore the hunger pains in my gut. Once I've deemed myself presentable, I set off to the kitchen.

   "Morning Hajime, sorry I couldn't make anything for breakfast this morning but I'm dreadfully late. There's granola bars in the cupboard and apples on the counter, okay bye Hajime!" Kaede says in a rush before I can even greet her.

   "Late for what?" I ask but she blows past me in a hurry. She grabs her bag and she's out the door in a flash. Is Shuichi even still here?

   I grab an apple with an unnecessarily-loud sigh and mentally prepare myself for what I may find at the café today.

================================================================================

   "You're late, Hajime." An icy-cold voice greets me as I walk through the door. 

   Nagito Komaeda, stoic expression on his face, is glaring down at me. I shrink into myself, for the first time realizing the height difference between us. His piercing, hateful gaze makes me want to curl up in a ditch and die.

   Perhaps...the Queen really did something to Nagito? He really...harbors hatred for me now....right?

   "I'm, uh, sorry?" I mutter with hesitance. He folds his arms over his chest.

   "Oh? Are you really? Because, Hajime, you don't seem apologetic to me."

   Nagito's face was twisted in a scary expression now. Man, if looks could kill...

   "I'm really sorry," I insist, "I truly am!"

   Nagito glares hard at me for another minute before he turns dramatically and stalks away from me.

   What...the hell was that. Something was seriously wrong with Nagito now? It's...it just makes no sense. Let's assume for a moment Queen Junko did tamper with his brain; where is the logic behind his anger and hate? Or maybe it's just blind, confusing hatred of me?

   I sigh.

   Great. How will he ever fall in love with me now, especially like this?! 

   I head to the back room, retrieving my apron and tying it up behind my back. I then take my place behind the front counter and begin my shift.

================================================================================

   By the end of my shift I'm exhausted. I serve my last customer with a weary smile and dump my apron on it's appropriate hook and get ready to head back to Kaede's. Looks like I have a lot of planning to do regarding my target.

   "And, where do you think you're going?" A cold voice says suddenly, making me jump from surprise. Nagito Komaeda, seemingly materializing from no where is glaring at me again.

   "Where did you come from?! You weren't here a second ago!" I demand, startled. He snickers slightly.

   "Maybe I teleported...? Answer my question now, Hajime."