Staff Training and Hero Nagito

(I apologize for the crappy poorly-written short last chapter I'll try to be better.)

  The seventh day, Monday, seemed to come around before I could even blink.

   "Hajime!" Kaede sings, forcing the door to my room open. I in turn, pull the covers over my head with a groan, trying to shield out the morning sunlight.

   "Go away." I grumble. I hear her sigh in annoyance before her footsteps draw closer. The covers are yanked off me, exposing my poor body to the cold. "Cold!" I yelp, curling myself into a ball trying to catch the slightest bit of warmth.

   "It'll be warmer once you get dressed and get moving. You are borrowing some of Shuichi's more 'emo' clothes so you blend in. Now hurry up. Nagito will have your head if you're late, especially on your first day." She scolds before she departs, skirt swishing loudly with each movement.

   Muttering a very impressive string of curse words, I waddle out of my room, wincing at the cold paneling against my bare feet, and pound against Shuichi's door. It's opened right away by a very tired-looking Shuichi. His hair is out of place, ahoge curled, and he has heavy bags under his eyes.

   "Good morning Hajime." He says sleepily.

   "Hey Shuichi. Hope I didn't wake you, ahaha....anyways Kaede said you have some clothes I'm supposed to borrow?" I laugh nervously.

   "Ah, yeah I heard about that. I got them, hold on a second." He replies, disappearing back into his room. I wait patiently, leaning against the doorpost.

   "Breakfast!" Kaede shouts from the kitchen.

   "Just a minute!" I call back.

Shuichi then reappears and carefully presses the bundle of clothes into my arms. "Thank you." I say to him. All I get is a slight nod in response.
================================
"Hajime!" Nagito calls out cheerfully from behind the counter. I cross the threshold into the cafe and join him behind the counter. "I'm so glad you came!" He tells me.

"Well I wouldn't miss my first day would I?" I respond. He giggles.

"Of course-oh! I have an apron for you!" He exclaims suddenly, as if it just reoccurred to him. He grabs my arm and races into the back room; me being stringed along with him.

"Slow down!" I exclaim but he completely tunes me out. He thrusts me against the hall wall with a stern look.

"Wait here." He commands firmly before darting into the room on the other side of the wall. I sigh, letting myself sink into the hard, uncomfortable support of the wall.

Nagito returns less than a minute later with a bundle of green fabric the same shade as his apron tucked under his arm. He unfurls it with a grin and holds it up, gesturing for me to get closer.

I cautiously step up to him and he draps the neck hole over my head. He then gently spins me around and ties it up in the back.

Once he finishes, he steps back to admire me; pleased with his work. "You look good." He decides.

"Thanks...what now?"

"We serve customers of course!"

"Huh? I haven't even begun training yet!" I protest. He rolls his eyes at me.

"Such a loser, Hajime, making me take time out of my busy day to teach you how to make a cup of coffee."
================================
A few days of staff training later and it's the thirteenth day.

The one on one time being trained by Nagito did not go as planned. I wanted to flirt and romance him the whole time to move things along but every time I tried he'd slap me and give me a lecture about focusing or paying attention or something.

My people skills are decent enough I suppose. I serve the customers just fine, I get them what they need. Hours aren't too long but they aren't short either. I'm able to keep my energy high enough but by the end of the day I'm exhausted. I barely scarf down Kaede's delicious cooking before I pass out on the bed.

The good news is that the cafe is closed tomorrow. It's closed on Sundays I guess so I get the day off. Perhaps I can ask Nagito if he wants to spend the day together. It's a good opportunity to flirt with him.

"Sorry, Hajime, I've got something I've got to do tomorrow. But I appreciate you wanting to spend time with utter trash!" He chirped cheerfully.

Huh? What the hell does he got to do?! It's like he's trying to erase me from existence!

"Oh, well, um, okay. Sorry for asking." I mumble, scratching the back of my neck.

"Next Sunday I'm free.." He responds thoughtfully. I perk up.

"So next Sunday then?" I confirm. He smiles
And bobs his head up and down.

"Yes. Now get back to work, Hajime."

With the spring returned to my step, I go back up to the front counter and greet the next customer. They look like one of those pretty girls who turn out to be a bitch. She has two huge poofy pigtails and piercing, scary eyes. She taps her foot impatiently, drumming her long red fingernails on the counter.

"What took you so long?" She demands. I smile sweetly.

"My sincerest apologies, Miss. What might I get for you today?"

"Tch...french vanilla latte. And be quick about it!" She snaps in response.

"Of course! Three-fifty, if you'd please."

She begrudgingly forks over the change and I ring her up. "It'll be ready in a minute." I promise.

   I turn around and quickly make up her drink with the utmost precision. I turn back to her with my 'customer' smile and hold it out to her.

   "Here you are, one french vanilla latte!" I announce cheerfully. She recoils in disgust.

   "What the fuck is that?" She spits. I furrow my eyebrows.

   "Your order, m'am." I insist, thrusting at her again.

   "I specifically ordered one black coffee!" She insists. I shake my head.

   "No I entered it right here. French vanilla latte, see?"

   "You mistyped. You are incompetent. Where's the manager?" She demands.

   "He is occupied. I'd be happy to make you one on the house myself." I answer calmly.

"You better." She snarls. With a heavy sigh I turn and pour her a fresh cup of steaming coffee and hand it too her. She takes the lid off, inspecting it, and then growls.

"I ORDERED A SALTED CARAMEL LATTE, YOU INCOMPETENT FOOL!" She screeches, throwing the boiling hot liquid onto me. I let out a loud cry of pain, hunching over, gasping.

I feel a presence instantly appear behind me. I look over and there's a fuming Nagito staring behind me.

"Why did you throw a scorching hot beverage at my employee?" He demands in a dark tone. The lady sticks her tongue out.

"He fucked up. He deserved it."

"He certainly did not, miss. I heard you order a French vanilla latte which he brought and order a coffee which he got for you without additional charge. He went above and beyond. I sincerely hope you'll apologize to my Hajime and pay for any costs should I have to take him to the hospitals for those burns." Nagito replies through gritted teeth.

All the lady does is giggle before darting out of the building. Nagito lunges to go after her but I stop him.

"Just let her go." I sigh. He folds his arms over his chest.

"Whatever. Let's get some ointment on those burns."