21 | The Dayal Family

G.O.A.T. 

- diljit dosanjh

"oh, word? They say he the G.O.A.T."

Content Warning at the end of the chapter

Priscilla was absolutely unprepared for the mayhem that was Nitara's family. Cilla's family resume wasn't that impressive as she spent most of her childhood with random nannies, but she had never been surrounded by such a tightly-knit family (save for the Weasley siblings, but she's never seen them in action at home). Nitara's parents and aunties were lovely people, and their family connection was strong as ever.

She had also never been surrounded by so much culture before. There was so much Gujarati food at the buffet table that Nini's mom and Aunties whipped up the night before. The whole flat above their store smelled like spices and comfort food, it put the food served in the Great Hall to shame. Cilla had never tried so many of the dishes before and savoured every spicy, flavourful bite.

Cilla could tell exactly what traits Nitara got from each of her parents. Her father David was the party-goer, always up to something. Whether it was sneaking a piece of food, smuggling the girls and Cedric cookies Nini's aunties made that were specifically to be enjoyed after dinner, or giving his wife little playful pinches in the bum when he could, he always had a smirk on his face.

"Here kids, here, have some gin," he offered, pouring three glasses.

"Oh, Dad, I'm okay, really," Nitara began to refuse, but her father wasn't having it. 

"You're seventeen now! You should have a drink to celebrate, baby!"

Cedric laughed and opened a can of tonic for himself and Priscilla. Nitara looked like she was trying not to let her nausea give herself away.

"DAVID! You better not be giving our daughter alcohol!" Nitara's mother yelled from the kitchen.

Nitara's mother Devi was strict as ever, but she was bursting with love for her family and had a kind heart. As she slaved away over the stove with her two sisters running around behind her, she laughed and danced to the music coming out of Priscilla's radio. Cedric, now having the trace off of him, was able to jinx the radio so it picked up stations back home in Gujarat to the ladies' delight.

Devi's sisters, who Priscilla and Cedric were told to refer to as Radha Auntie and Leela Auntie, were singing along to the radio and gossiping as Devi cooked.