Chapter 1

"Happy birthday!"

I look up from my desk and see Shayla standing in the doorway to my home office—naked, a cupcake with a candle in her hand, looking all kinds of gorgeous. I grin and lean back in my chair and admire my wife. She's four months pregnant with my baby, and she's absolutely glowing, literally the most beautiful thing I have ever laid my eyes on. She's got a cute baby bump where she's finally starting to show. "Lord have mercy. Show me a more desirable birthday gift than you, baby. Get your sexy butt over here Mrs Hoult." I tell her, and she smiles and saunters over to me.

"Make a wish baby." She says, holding out the cupcake with the candle to me. I lift my gaze to hers over the flame and smile.

"What more can I possibly wish for honey? I have you. We have a baby on the way, and all the success I can ever dream of." I tell her, and she smiles lovingly and bites her lip.

"You forgot the most important thing—health. You can wish for health bebé." I sigh and gaze into her eyes. This is why I love her, so damn much.

"You're right. There is nothing more important than our health and the health of our baby." I declare, placing my hand on her stomach where my unborn baby lay. Shayla lays her hand on mine, and I close my eyes and make my birthday wish, which was a lifetime of health and happiness— Oh, and a little girl. Of course, I'll be happy whatever the gender, but I really want a little princess with Shayla's gorgeous eyes, her smile, her long dark hair and my dimples. My heart melts at the thought of her running around, shouting Daddy.

"What are you thinking about?" Shayla asks watching me with a grin on her face. I blow out the candle and grin at her.

"I can't tell you, or it won't come true," I say, pulling her into my lap and kissing her soft lips. Shayla presses her forehead to mine and rubs my jaw.

"Happy birthday, love of my life." She whispers, and I smile, closing my eyes.

"Thank you, the light of my life." I cup her face and kiss her deeply. Shayla jumps and pulls back from the kiss her eyes wide.

"What is it, baby?" I ask concerned, and she shakes her head and looks down at her stomach. She lifts my hand and presses it on her stomach, and I frown when I feel something tap against my palm. "Whoa, is that..."

"The baby is kicking." She smiles, nibbling her lip. I rub her stomach and press my forehead to her temple, beaming.

"Shayla, you've given me so much to be thankful for. Your love has honestly changed me and made me a better man." I tell her earnestly, and she smiles, grazing her thumb over my knuckles.

"You were always a good man, Cole. You've always had a good heart, that's all on you, not me." She replies and pulls back to look at me. "Now..." She says, picking up the cupcake and licks the frosting with the tip of her tongue and looks at me sultrily. I lean in, grasping her jaw in my hand and suck the buttercream off her tongue.