VIII - The Letter From Mum

"Ow, ow! What the fuck?" 

When Draco woke up the next morning, there was a large barn owl pecking at his face.

"Well, good morning to you too," he said gruffly. He sat up to find a parcel and a letter addressed to him sitting on the foot of his bed. After roughly pushing the owl to the floor, he tore open the letter, which said:

 After roughly pushing the owl to the floor, he tore open the letter, which said:

Dearest Draco,

I hope your first few days at Hogwarts are going smoothly, and I trust that you are doing well. I must admit, it's lonely here at home with only your father for company (you know how he is). He's really not doing well, you have to understand that his career is riding on your completion of this task.

Which brings me to my next point. I fear the Dark Lord expects the headmaster gone sooner rather than later. The contents of this package should help you, if given to the headmaster as soon as possible. I must stress, do not touch it with your bare hands!!!!!

Write back as soon as possible, and let me know how it goes. Keep on being your parents' pride and joy (or mine, at least), and good luck!

Much love, Narcissa B. Malfoy

-

He undid the twine around the box and opened it to find an antique opal necklace, wrapped in tissue paper. Heeding his mother's warning, he held it up to the lamp by the paper and inspected it. The chain was black and it had tiny skull beads on it, with a large teardrop-shaped stone in the very middle that sparkled in the light.

"What on Earth would make Dumbledore take this without question, especially from me?" he wondered aloud. 

"Take what?" Blaise said as he suddenly poked his head into the room. 

"Oh, uh... nothing. Just a letter from my mother," he said as he scrambled to hide the necklace.

"Whatever, we're going to be late for breakfast." 

"Right, I'll be down in a minute," Draco replied, tearing a piece of paper off of an old homework assignment. He grabbed a quill and quickly scribbled out a reply for his mother: 

 He grabbed a quill and quickly scribbled out a reply for his mother: