IV- The Cloak

Theo looked up from a book he was reading when his friends sulked into the compartment, and raised his eyebrows when he saw Draco's hardened expression. "Lemme guess, didn't go well?" he said. Blaise shook his head and sat down.

"Draco got torn up by Potter," Pansy taunted.

"So did you two!" he snapped back. 

"Bro, I was joking," Pansy laughed nervously, taken aback. 

"Just you wait. He'll be singing a different song by the end of the year." he spat impulsively as he sat down next to her.

"Chill out, it was just banter." Theo said, clapping him on the back. 

Draco ignored him. "Every one of those losers will learn their lesson! This pathetic excuse for a school won't be the same after I-" He cut himself off before revealing too much. 

The whole compartment was staring at him.

Pansy bit her lip. "After you what?" she said, narrowing her eyes and leaning forward. "The school won't be the same after you do what?"

"Let's just say... I have a task. And if I complete the task, I won't be wasting my time in Charms class next year," he grumbled mysteriously.

If one were to peer into the compartment at that moment, they'd be slapped in the face by the most awkward of silences, and they'd uncomfortabley gaze upon the dropped jaws and raised eyebrows resulting from the shock of the news.

After what seemed like an eternity, Pansy finally spoke up. "Um, we'll be at Hogwarts soon, we should get our robes on..." she said as she slowly opened her trunk and gathered her clothes.

"Well, turn around while I change, you bastards!" she snarled when nobody moved. She threw her sweater at Draco, and it landed on his head. He inhaled before throwing it back and noticed that it smelled like flowery perfume.

The rest of the ride was shrouded in an extremely uneasy quiet, nobody daring to follow up the previous conversation topic with another.

This gave Draco's mind room to wander. It wandered particularly to lands regarding the new task he was to perform, and how he was to do so. He wished he knew why the Dark Lord chose him to kill Dumbledore, one of the greatest wizards of all time. No ideas immediately came to mind, it's not like he could just show up and avada kedavra the guy... He'd also heard rumors of a disappearing and reappearing room on the seventh floor that gives you exactly what you need, provided you're thinking about it when you come across it. That could be useful.

He was snapped out of his stupor by the sound of trunks moving above his head. Looking up, he could've sworn he saw a black tennis shoe appear and disappear within the same moment.

"Did you guys see that?" he asked.

"See what?" said Theo.

"No matter, we're here anyway." Blaise said as the train screeched to a stop. Everyone shuffled to grab his or her trunk and left the compartment. Pansy stopped in the threshold when Draco lingered behind.

"Are you coming?" she asked.

"I just have to check something real quick." he said. "You and the others go on, I'll catch up."

"M'kay," Pansy said, looking hurt. "Here, I'll get your trunk."

"Thanks Pans," he replied. He patted her shoulder, and her back straightened up.

"No problem." she said as she walked away.

After watching her board a carriage and leave, Draco quietly closed all the window shades in the compartment, blocking himself in.

"Petrificus totalus!" he suddenly shouted, aiming his wand at the shelf where the trunks were. There was a thud, and Harry Potter came rolling out from under an invisibility cloak, completely petrified.

"Didn't mummy ever tell you it's rude to eavesdrop, Potter?" Draco said, menacingly stepping towards Harry. "Oh yeah, she was dead before you could wipe the drool off your chin."

Draco kicked Harry in the face with the heel of his shoe, bloodying his nose. A wicked grin stretched across his face. "That's from Pansy Parkinson," he snarled. He threw the cloak over Harry's body. "Enjoy your ride back to London."

He spit on the ground right next to where Harry was laying for good measure, straightened his posture, and exited the train as if nothing had happened.

Draco looked around. The platform was empty, and the last carriage had already departed. No witnesses, no problems.

He set off down the long path to the school at a quick jog, but soon slowed to a reluctant walk. The distance was longer than he remembered, and a feeling of sudden appreciation for the carriages came over him. He started to sweat, so he shrugged off his suit jacket and threw it over his shoulder.

Well, at least Pansy had his trunk.

Just as the soles of his feet began to ache (expensive dress shoes aren't made for walking), Hogwarts became visible through the trees. His stomach let out an audible groan, and it dawned on him that he hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast.

He speed-walked to the school where there would be chicken, and shepherd's pie, and beef wellington, and pumpkin juice, and pudding...