VI- The Dragon-Hide Gloves

The next day, Draco looked up from his breakfast with Blaise and Theo to see Pansy walking into the Great Hall.

"'Sup," she said, giving him a quick hug and sitting down next to him.

"'Sup," he replied. "Oh, thanks for the food yesterday," he said.

"No problem," she shrugged. "What took you so long to get here, anyway?"

He gulped. "Well, I had to-" he started, but was interrupted by Dumbledore clearing his throat at the front of the room.

"Today, the staff will be distributing student schedules." he said after he had everyone's attention. "Please see your Head of House to recieve one, and report to your first class directly after breakfast. I do not wish to take up your precious time, so everyone may return to his or her business."

After Dumbledore was finished, Pansy turned excitedly to Draco and shook his shoulders. "I wonder what classes we'll have together!" she said.

He nodded and turned to the other boys. "Remember third year, when we all had all of our classes together?" Draco said. 

"Ancient Runes would've totally sucked without you guys." Blaise replied.

"Ancient Runes sucked anyway," Theo laughed. 

"Luckily, this year I've dropped all the boring classes, like Divination," Pansy paused to make a retching sound. "And I get to take Advanced Potions with Slughorn."

"Me too, I hope we get the same block." Draco replied. "I wonder if this new Slughorn guy will be more exciting than Snape?"

Out of nowhere, their Head of House came up behind them and smirked. "Miss my class already?" he drawled. "Zabini..." he said as he passed out the schedules. "Nott... Parkinson... Malfoy... "

Pansy snatched hers up and closely examined it while Snape sulked away. The four of them laid the pieces of parchment out on the table next to each other on the table. 

The excitement in her eyes quickly drained away as she checked and re-checked each block. "Well fuck, we only have one class together..." she said disappointedly. 

"That's better than no classes, right?" he consoled, athough he too was sad on the inside. "And it's Potions, I heard that there are only like nine or ten people in it."

"What am I, chopped liver?" said Theo. "Pansy, you and I have five classes together!"

"Yeah, but-" she started.

"Heyoo, we have four classes together!" Blaise interrupted, playfully elbowing Draco in the gut.

"Haha yeah," Draco said, elbowing him back. Soon, they were in a silly elbow fight, and they didn't notice when Pansy got up and left the table.

When people started to trickle out of the hall, Draco looked at his schedule again and turned to Blaise. "You and I have Herbology first," he said while gathering his school things. "Greenhouse 6, and Theo has History of Magic."

"I'm pretty nervous for Herbology this year," Blaise said as they walked out. "I mean, I flipped through the textbook and there's some pretty dangerous shit we have to deal with,"

"Aw fuck," Draco cursed, digging in his bag. "I forgot my dragon-hide gloves in the dorm. Can you tell Professor Sprout that I'm going to be late?"

"Sure," Blaise said. "Oh, and the password is 'snek deck', for some reason."

"Thanks!" Draco called as he ran down the hall. 

When the door opened after he said the password, he rushed into his dorm to find the gloves. He rummaged through his trunk, throwing things out of it onto the floor. Eventually, he found them and jogged out to the common room. Before he could get through the door, he noticed Pansy laying in repose on the couch.

"Hey, what're you still doing here?" he stopped and said.

"I could ask you the same question," she replied, biting her lip.

"I asked you first," he smirked.

She rolled her eyes. "Class is boring this year. I have History of Magic with the Claws, you know how that goes," she said. "Oh, and Theo."

"So you're just skipping?" he asked.

Pansy nodded like it was the most obvious choice in the world. 

"Alright well have fun, I've got to get to Herbology. Unlike you, I'd like to graduate, thank you very much," he joked as he hurried out the door.

After practically sprinting outside to the Greenhouse 6, a sweaty Draco joined Blaise at a table where Professor Sprout was giving information about whatever monstrous plant they were studying.

"- and I must stress the importance of avoiding the spikes, the spikes will kill you!" she explained animatedly. When she noticed that Draco had walked in, she motioned for him to sit down. "Mister Malfoy, today we will be observing the Venomous Tentacula and-"

"The Venomous what now?!" he interjected.

"The Venomous Tentacula," she continued. "Put on your gloves and we'll jump right in, I'm sure Mister Zabini would be happy to relay my instructions."

Blaise looked terrified as he gazed at a group of hesitant students prodding at some sort of plant (if you could even call it a plant), and gulped. "So what you're gonna want to do... is, um-" he began.

"Pansy's skipping classes today," Draco interrupted as he slipped on the dragon-hide gloves he'd ran so far for. "Isn't that weird?"

"Sure," Blaise replied. "Now pay attention to me, I'd like to not get killed by a plant today, if you don't mind."

"Alright," Draco said. "I heard that Sprout says it's okay to swear loudly if it grabs you from behind..."