vi. Remus Might Have a Big Secret

It was Saturday afternoon when James got discharged from the Hospital wing with strict instructions to not drink too much, or else his cheek would leak. Naturally, this meant that James constantly charmed water into his mouth, his friends cackling with glee as it dripped out of the cut on his face. Needless to say, he was very hydrated by the end of the day. After dinner, they roamed the corridors, taking the long way back to the Gryffindor tower.

"Someone ought to make a map of this place," James said. "It's humongous! It's a wonder nobody gets lost, what with all those moving staircases."

"D'you reckon there are secret passageways?" asked Peter.

"In a magical castle? There bloody well should be," Sirius replied, looking around.

"Is anyone expecting an owl?" Remus pointed to where an elegant, misty grey owl sat perched on the window sill.

"Titus!" James ran to open the window and gave his owl a loving back scratch before taking the letter attached to it's leg. "It's from my dad," he said, eagerly unravelling the parchment.

"Dear James,

I'm sorry I haven't been able to write to you sooner. Work has been terribly busy — I'll explain more at Christmas."

"That sounds ominous," Remus observed.

James continued to read aloud.

"Your Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher has informed me of an incident in which another student used a rather dangerous curse on you. I hope you are not hurt, and I advise you to let the teachers deal with the discipline rather than take matters into your own hands."

James snorted. "Yeah, right,"

Remus rolled his eyes and laughed as James kept going.

"I wish you well. Love, Dad."

"Are you actually thinking of getting Snivellus back?" asked Peter.

"Indeed I am," James grinned and rubbed his hands together mischievously. Then he glanced around. "Hey, where did Sirius go?"

They looked around the hallways, but Sirius was nowhere to be found.

"Maybe he went back to the common room?" Peter suggested.

But Sirius wasn't there either. Curfew came and went, and Sirius still hadn't returned. Remus and Peter had drifted off to sleep. James lay awake in worry, but soon his eyelids grew heavy and he too fell asleep.

James woke as the first signs of daylight started to shine through the window. One quick glance around the dormitory told him that Sirius hadn't returned. He trudged down to the common room, his eyes finding the head of long, dark hair that belonged to Sirius. He was sitting on the couch, staring into the fire, and it occurred to James that he probably hadn't slept at all.

"Everything okay?" James asked, joining him on the couch.

Sirius nodded. "Couldn't sleep," he muttered.

"You took off kind of suddenly last night."

Sirius mumbled something else.

James studied his friend carefully. He remembered that day on the train when Sirius had so expertly avoided answering any questions about his family, and he had run off when James had gotten the letter from his dad.

"Sirius, do you get on with your family?" James asked suddenly.

Sirius looked at him with a rather alarmed expression. "Come again?"

"I said do you—"

Sirius waved his hand, cutting him off. "I heard you, I don't know why I said that," he sighed. "Look, I don't really like talking about it, but the short answer is no, I don't."

James nodded, hearing the finality in his friend's tone. "Well, if you ever want to talk about it, just let me know,"

At that moment, they heard a door being opened softly upstairs, and they turned around to see Remus with his travelling cloak, making a quiet exit.

"Remus?" Sirius called.

Remus froze on the spot, looking terrified.

"Don't worry, it's just us," James stood up. "Where are you off to?"

"Er..." Remus shifted uncomfortably.

At that moment, the portrait hole opened and Professor McGonagall strode into the common room. "Good morning, Mr. Lupin," she said quietly, then she noticed James and Sirius. "Mr. Potter, Mr. Black, you're both up terribly early,"

"So are you," Sirius replied.

McGonagall's mouth twitched. "Mr. Lupin are you ready to go?"

"Go?" James echoed, confused.

Remus awkwardly avoided their gazes.

"Mr. Lupin has an ill family member and will be leaving for a few days to have a visit. I trust you boys will take notes for him to help him keep up in his classes?" She spoke calmly, but her gaze upon James and Sirius was quite severe.

"Yes, of course," James agreed. He felt horrible, and imagined that Sirius felt the same— neither had known that Remus had an ill family member.

"See you in a few days," Remus mumbled, and he followed McGonagall out of the common room.

"Looks like you aren't the only one with a few secrets," James told Sirius, giving him a good natured elbow in the ribs.