Reliving The Past

A deep rumbling sound echoed through the garage. (Y/n) switched off the woodcutter and lifted the goggles from her eyes.

Large drops of water began to fall in front of her, followed by a loud clap of thunder.

(Y/n) yelped and dropped the goggles, running away from the garage door. She didn't even bother to close it. All she wanted to do was get away from the brewing storm.

But how could there be a storm? The weatherman had promised sunshine and only a few clouds! This was an army of them, along with the flashes of lightning and rolling thunder to command them!

"Oh, god!" Hot tears began to stream down her cheeks as the house lights flickered in sync with the drops of rain. Every thought that ran through her mind screamed to seek shelter.

Another flash of lightning and a roar of thunder came, demanding each available light to burst.

And with that last command, (Y/n) open the master bedroom's closet and shut herself inside. Her final course of action is to curl up into a ball in the corner with only her tears and sobs as a company.

"Hi, you have reached (Y/n) Manion. Please leave your name, number, and a brief message. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you."

Robert groaned and removed the phone from his ear, ending the car. Two messages were enough. "I have to get home."

Jon approached his friend and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Rob, I'm sure your wife's alright. She's a pretty strong woman."

Robert shook his head and brushed Jon's hand off his shoulder. "Not in these conditions. She has astraphobia." He jogged to the coat rack and pulled his hoodie over his head. "Tell Paul that I'm leaving, okay?"

-

"Hey, it's just a storm, love. Calm down..." Robert dried his girlfriend's tears with his thumb. "It's going to pass over soon."

(Y/n) shook her head and sunk further into the couch. "I-It's never just a-a storm, Rob. It's n-never just a storm..." She started to rock back and forth, hugging her knees tight. "W-When I was seventeen a hurricane d-destroyed my town. I-I didn't drown... I c-couldn't seem to die..."

A clap of thunder followed by a flash of lightning ended her story. Robert wrapped his arms around (Y/n)'s waist and pulled her towards his body, placing a kiss on her temple. "It's alright, love. I'm here..."

-

Robert parked his car next to the front door and ran inside, not bothering to shut the driver's door or lock the car.

"(Y/n)!" His voice overlapped with a CRACK and a roll of thunder. There was no use in calling her name. A search would need to be done.

The couple had been married for four years, so Robert had an idea of where his wife's usual 'hideout' during storms like this was. And luckily, the master bedroom wasn't far from the front door.

When he opened the door to the master bedroom's closet, Robert's heart dropped at the sight of his wife.

(Y/n) was shaking and covering her head with her shaky hands. Due to how dark it was, her face was mostly red from crying. She didn't bother looking up after hearing the door open. Her mind was screaming at her to stay in position.

"(Y/n)," Robert kneeled in front of her and tapped her shoulder. She looked up for a moment but covered her head with a yelp when another clap of thunder rolled through. Robert sighed and moved to sit next to her, bringing her close to his body. His fingers ran through her hair as he shushed her crying. "Breath in and breathe out, love. Calm down..."

The couple stayed that way for another hour. They chose not to leave their closet until the storm passed. But what mattered most in the situation was that (Y/n) felt safer in her husband's arms. She was no longer crying and no longer sitting in on her own, reliving part of her past.