ABLA Homes

The Jane Addams Homes consisted of 32 buildings of 2,3, and 4 stories built in 1938 by Franklin D. Roosevelt's PWA Program. They house hundreds of families over several decades until they were vacated in 2002. They were famous for their animal sculptures in the court area. The buildings have largely been demolished. The one remaining building at 1322-24 West Taylor Street is being incorporated into plans for a new National Public Housing Museum, as part of the International Sites of Conscience. Originally made up of 7 15 story buildings and 33 2 story rowhouse buildings, the Grace Abbott Homes were built in 1955. In 2005, 4 of the high rise buildings were demolished, and rest were demolished by 2007. This property is planned to be redeveloped in Phases 3-6 of the new Roosevelt Square mixed income community. 

The Robert Brooks Homes were built in 1943 with 835 rowhouse units and was rebuilt in 2 phases between 1997 and 2000. The renovations reduced the housing density, resulting in 330 housing units. In 2005, the site was repurposed and became part of a new mixed income development called Roosevelt Square. The Robert Brooks extensions were built in 1961 and were made up of 3 16 story buildings. 1 of the 3 buildings, Racine, was demolished in 1998. The remaining 2 buildings were demolished in 2001. The Loomis Courts were built in 1951, and the 126 unit complex consisted of 2 7 story buildings. Instead of coming from public housing funds, project funding came from city and state funds. In 2005, the CHA started a 2 phase rehabilitation process that preserved the property as affordable rental housing. 

Just west of the ABLA's was a small neighbourhood affectionately known as "Cross Ashland," named for the southern twang where many residents of the downtown and the projects pronounced its location. 

The housing projects were plagued by street gangs, drugs, and violent crimes. Most notably, the ABLA development was controlled by factions of the Black Gangster Disciples. In mid 1986, break ins by entry through bathroom medicine cabinets began occurring in the Abbott buildings. The apartments at the end of each floor bathrooms were separated by only 2 feet of tunnel space. Space was generally created for plumbers and janitors to have easy access to the pipes in the buildings. 

On 22nd April, 1987, 52 year old Ruth Mae McCoy was murdered by someone who entered her 11th floor Abbott apartment through her bathroom cabinet somewhere between 8:50-9:05pm. Ruth called 911 at 8:45 that evening to report that someone in the apartment next door was coming through her bathroom cabinet. Due to the operator mostly disregarding her unintelligible responses, the call was noted as a "disturbance with a neighbour". After 2 more calls came through to 911 between 08:50-09:04pm about screaming and gunshots coming from apartment 1109 (Ruth's apartment), police were dispatched and arrived 10 minutes later. After their knocks went unanswered, the police attempted to enter the apartment using a key given to them by an attendant in the housing office, but left when the key failed to unlock the door. The next evening, 911 received a call from Ruth's neighbour worried and concerned about her whereabouts, considering she had seen police at her door the night before and she still had not seen Ruth. Chicago Police and CHA security guards arrived back at Ruth's apartment. After the knocks and calls for Ruth went unanswered, officers suggested breaking the door down, but were cautioned not to by CHA security guards. The following evening, a CHA official arrived at Ruth's door with a carpenter who drilled the lock on the door. Ruth was found lying on her bedroom floor shot 4 times; in her left shoulder, left thigh, the right side of her abdomen and right upper arm. 2 men, Edward Turner, 18 and John Hondras, 21 were charged with: murder, home invasion, armed robbery, armed violence, and residential burglary. Witnesses claim that they saw the 2 men carrying Ruth's 19 inch colour TV and rocking chair around the project in the early morning hours after her death. Due to lack of evidence, the charges against the 2 men were dropped after 2 years of the trial. The victim's daughter, Vernita McCoy, sued the Chicago Housing Authority for the cause of her mother's death in 1988.