Peterborough Ditch Murders

The Peterborough Ditch Murders were a series of serial murders which took place in Cambridgeshire, England, in March 2013. All 3 victims were male and died from stab wounds. Their bodies were discovered dumped in ditches outside Peterborough. In Hereford, two other men were stabbed, but survived. The perpetrator was Joanne Christine Dennehy, a Cambridgeshire woman, who was later sentenced to life imprisonment with a whole life order. 

Kevin Lee was a property developer, landlord and lover of Joanne. He was killed on 29th March 2013, and his body found the next day near Newborough. Joanne dressed Kevin's body in a black sequined dress before dumping his corpse. Lukasz Slaboszewski met Joanne through a shared interest in drink and drugs, and John Chapman was a housemate of Joanne. Lukasz, a Polish national, was killed on 19th March, and John on 29th March. They were both found on 3rd April near Thorney with stab wounds. 

After the killings, Joanne was driven by an accomplice, Gary Stretch, to Hereford where she stabbed 2 men, chosen separately and at random, both of whom survived. Both men were dog walkers; she stole the second's dog. Another man travelling in the car, unwillingly, was later cleared of criminal involvement in the attacks.

Joanne, a 30 year old absent mother of 2 young children at the time of the killings, specifically targeted men during her killing spree, telling her acquaintance Mark that she did not wish to kill a woman and especially not a woman with children. Mark Lloyd stated Joanne had wanted to kill 9 men in total, seeking to be like Bonnie and Clyde. Joanne stabbed men for the purpose of "entertainment", telling Gary Stretch, "I want my fun. I need you to get my fun." She later told a psychiatrist that she found murder to be "moreish" and that after the first killing she "got a taste for it."

In November 2013, Joanne pleaded guilty to all 3 murders and 2 further attempted murders. Her sister Maria was unsurprised by the guilty plea and said, "I think she did that to control the situation. She likes people to know she's the boss." Joanne has been held at HM Prison Bronzefield. Assessing psychiatrists later diagnosed Joanne with psychopathic, anti-social and borderline personality disorders.

Two men, Gary Stretch, 47, and Leslie Layton, 36, stood trial charged with a range of crimes assisting Joanne. Both decided not to give evidence or face cross examination. The jury began considering their verdicts on 4th February 2014. On 10th February, Gary was found guilty of attempted murder and Leslie was found guilty of perverting the course of justice. On 12th February, Leslie and Gary were convicted of all other charges.

On 28th February 2014, at the Old Bailey, Joanne was sentenced to life imprisonment. The trial judge, Mr Justice Spencer, recommended that she should never be released due to the premeditation of each murder. Spencer said further that Joanne was sadomasochistic, and lacked the normal range of human emotions. Joanne is believed to be one of just 3 women in the United Kingdom to be given life imprisonment without parole, after Myra Hindley and Rosemary West.

Gary was also sentenced at the Old Bailey alongside Joanne to life imprisonment with a recommended minimum term of 19 years. Leslie was sentenced to a total of 14 years, and Robert Moore, 55, who admitted to assisting an offender, received a 3 year prison sentence.

After the trial it emerged that the Probation Service was supervising Joanne at the time of the murders as she had been convicted of assault and owning a dangerous dog. It was later concluded that the staff dealing with her were inexperienced. 

While Joanne was on remand before the trial, prison staff found an escape plot in her diary. This involved killing or seriously injuring a prison guard, cutting off one of the guard's fingers and using the amputated finger to fool the biometric system in the prison. Because of the plot, Joanne was placed in solitary confinement from September 2013 to September 2015. She claims isolation left her 'tearful and upset' and led to self harm.

The High Court rejected Joanne's claim that her human rights had been violated. Government lawyers argued isolation was necessary due to the nature of Joanne's offences and the risk she could pose to the public if she were to escape. Mr Justice Singh found solitary confinement was "in accordance with law...at all material times it has been necessary and proportionate". Joanne is currently incarcerated in HMP Bronzefield, Surrey.