Birthday

"Stay cool Neal, it's one stupid day of the year. Make Finn happy, he put tons of work into today. Jesus, I'm gonna a screw it all up." Neal groaned, he turned away from the bathroom mirror and proceeded into his bedroom. Neal takes a seat on the bed pondering how's ever gonna survive the dreadful hours which await him. He hasn't celebrated a birthday since 3 years ago, Neal and his dad always made the occasion their own special celebration: they went on guys only trips, to the movies, parks, laser tags, television marathons. Truly it was a special occasion Neal's always enjoyed, and at the end of each birthday Chris always brought Neal a huge cake, then they would end the night watching Neal's favorite movie Beauty and the Beast. Yet, Chris is dead, and those memories are all he has left of ever feeling happy about his birthday. Neal despises then occasion now, he rather be left alone and not bothers. Expect Finn couldn't allow that, Neal decided he should remain silent about his personal feelings. The young brother really didn't have the heart to shatter Finn's happens of throwing a birthday party. Neal prays he'll keep it together today, losing his temper or mind at a party won't ever end well. He's been working hard keeping his anxiety away, despite having some episodes over the months. Three months he saw a woman whom resembled Molly at the store, Neal panicked thinking the women was Molly and feared she would somehow hurt him all over again. Thankfully Finn calmed the young brother down quickly, the rest of the day Neal shut everyone out of of pure embarrassment. During all of Neal's thinking, two loud thuds boomed outride the bedroom shaking the ground. Those booms mean Finn's awake, sleepy most likely. A non-tired Finn walks more gentle around his kid brothers room especially during mornings. Grumpy Neal's a person whom Finn hates seeing. "BUAAHHH!" Finn belches, Neal shakes his head not understanding his brothers gross nature. "Ugh dad, what am I gonna do? Finn's nothing more a gas bag, thankfully his goofy  attitude and heart makes him great. God, I wish you guys could have met! Finn has your silly sense of humor and kind attitude." Neal smiled holding the picture of him and his dad; their sitting at the book store smiling brightly. Neal's holding his first book Christ bought him, and the fathers arms are wrapped around Neal. Little does anyone know, the picture was talking on Neal's birthday. "13 dad, can you believe I'm 13? Gosh, all these years have passed quickly! Haven't been the same since losing you." Neal quietly admitted. Finn starts his regular morning humming, the Giant slams a foot down keeping up with the beat. "Should get ready, Finn's probably making breakfast-I'm correct, he makes killer pancakes!" Neal said smelling the air filled of pancake batter and bacon. "Talk later dad, I'll let you know how the day goes." Neal leaves behind the photo, he slips on sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt. Upon exiting his room, Neal's immediately hit by breakfast powerfully, delicious, mouth watering smell. Finn's at the counter screaming eggs, he quietly sings under his breathe. "Morning big guy! Making another delicious breakfast?" Neal asked staging behind the giant. "Well hello birthday boy! Yes, I'm making breakfast." Finn said, he scooped Neal up quickly. "Mmmm, smells so good! Wish I could cook." Neal told him. "I'll teach ya sometime. How does it feel being older?" Finn let Neal sit on-top the kitchen counter. "Nothing really, not a big thing I would celebrate." Neal lied, if Chris were around they probably would be at the book store or in line at the movie theater. "Oh please kid, hope you drop that type of thinking before noon! No ones wants a salty kid at the party considering it's all about you!" Finn exclaimed. "I'm not salty Finn. I think celebrating with our family is over the top." He said swinging his legs back and forth off the edge. "Why? Really surprised hearing all your negative thoughts towards today? What's the real legit reason your upset about having a party. No lying either kiddo." Neal gulped, galling the truth would upset Finn greatly, his mind is out of lame excuses and Finn knows whenever he's lying. "Honestly, see me and..." Knocking interrupted Neal's speech, Finn stepped out the kitchen and opens the apartments door. "Morning Finn!" Ingrid and Mike Knight, the brothers grandparent, wrapped arms around Finn. "Hey guys, wasn't expecting seeing anyone until later. Why the sudden surprise?" Finn smiled letting them enter,Greta, their old black lab, follows behind Mike wagging her tail. "Decided Neal should his birthday gift early. He's our favorite grandchild after all." Ingrid chuckled pushing pass Finn. "Standing right here grandma." Finn reminded her. "Sorry honey, we love all our grand children equally. Some are more spoiled than others." Ingrid mutters her final statement rather quickly. "Neal, grandma and grandpa are here." Finn shouts, Greta barks loudly letting him know she's there as well. "And Greta..." He said. "Oh look at my grand baby! Growing up so fast!" Ingrid cooed after finding Neal and pinched his cheeks. "Hi grandma." Neal's muffled voice squeaked. "There's the kid! God, did ya grow since two weeks ago? He's getting taller each day Ingrid!" Mike happily yelled, the shout loud  makes Neal cover his ears. "Grandpa, inside voice please." Neal asked of him. "Hahah, sorry squirt." Mike apologized. "We've brought your birthday gift!" Ingrid began digging around inside her purse. No! No! No! No gifts! always bought me birthday gifts! It was Dads thing only! Neal mentally screamed. "Aww guys, I appreciate it, but gifts aren't..." Finn folded his arms giving Neal a stern glare. "Found it!" Ingrid pulled out a large bright yellow envelope, she forget to purchase a human size card. "Thank you guys, Finn can I get some help?" Neal tried pulling the envelope, he quit after three tries. "Sure kiddo, anybody else care for pancakes? I can whip some more up easily." Finn ripped the card open, he pulled it out and laid it beside Neal. "Thanks, but we already ate. Not trying to eat loads before the part later. Mike and I starting a new diet." Ingrid said. "Dumb ass diet, who the hell can't eat bacon?!" Neal smirked, he missed hearing his grandparents silly banter. "Open it up bro. Let's see what they got." Finn said. Neal gripped the edges easily pulling the card front open, he's greeted by glitter spilling everywhere. "Glitter grandma? That's gonna take days to clean!" Finn griped. "Hush!" She put a hand over his mouth. Inside Neal's card is a taped down ugly green sweatshirt, two human sized dollar bills, and a bag of candy. "Thanks Grandma and Grandpa. I'll wear the shirt during Christmas or another holiday." He nervously laughed, he ran his hand along the itchy material cringing at the thought of  wearing his gift. "I love it all!" Neal thanked them. "Super jealous kiddo, awesome sweater you have! Should see how comfortable it feels." Finn smirked, he knew Neal hated itchy sweaters. "I hate you." Neal mouthed, Finn stuck his tongue out. "Quiet being rude young man!" Ingrid lightly smacked Finn's face. "Well, we're leaving boys, see the two of you later at our house. Bye babies." Ingrid have them each a small kiss on the cheek, they left leaving behind the brothers. "Ugh today's gonna suck." Neal mumbled.
—————————————————
"Seatbelt on bro." Finn said startling the car, finally the giant installed a human seat built on the drives door. It's a open slot wide and a window, than one tiny human seat perfectly made for Neal. Finn's little brother grew tired sitting inside a cup holder every single car ride. "Huh? Oh right, really love my new seat." Neal half smiled, his mind is somewhere else today. Neal always thought about Chris a lot during birthdays, he recalled all the fun times they had. Funny how life changed, Chris died and 3 years later Neal's inside a gigantic car being raised by a friendly giant brother. "Neal what's wrong? Somebody's not talkative, nor even remotely excited." Finn stated. "Nothings wrong, I'm not a big birthday person." Neal gazed out the window. "Molly didn't celebrate your birthday,did she? Sorry baby brother, not fair how she mistreated her own son." Finn's half correct, Molly never took interest celebrated Neal's birthday even before her husband died. Neal hardly ever considered his mother the main reason he quit caring about the day. Yet, Neal think Finn believing she's the reason he's grumpy will work. "Yep, sucks being the son of a crazy woman." Neal added. "Hopefully today will change your attitude! Seriously cake and gifts sound fun right?!" Finn grinned. "Of course, turn on the radio please. Wanna hear some music." Neal said. "Sure thing bro!" Finn turned the radio up, Neal sighed sliding deep into the seat. He continued looking outside, everything blurred at the cars speed. Neal forgotten the normal feeling sitting like any other human passenger. He missed those small normalities. The music played until they finally arrived, "Oh my God Finn. Please say that's not a sign!" Neal embarrassed his his face, a large banter hung over Ingrids and Mikes front door reading:Happy 13th Birthday Neal! "My personal idea." Finn proudly said. "Take away the banter Finn! I hate it." Neal begged. "No way, worked really hard making that." Finn told him. "The signs highly embarrassing. Please don't embarrass me!" Neal complained. "Wait-who are all the people entering the house?!" Neal pointed out, group of giants, Neal's age and older, were walking inside. Neal's swore he's seen few of the kids before. "Oh nobody really, few kids I may have invited who are in my gym class, and some friend of the family." Neal wish he could scream; nothing worst than having a big brother invite people Neal hardly even knows. "Oh my God Finn! I'm having a lame pity party! Why invite people I don't even know, even worst their family friends and your students! How embarrassing is that, or how crappy I feel about myself. 'Sure I'll invite kids because Neal's anti-social, and has zero friends to invite!' Thanks Finn, knew today was gonna blow. Let's go please." Neal hates getting angry, he knew Finn met well, but once again his deep emotions ruined yet another kind gesture by Finn. "Truly sorry Neal; always embarrassing aren't I?" Finn slowly said. "Nah, Finn Knights a big goofball, and super kind. He's always letting doing kind acts from the good his heart. Me however, I'm a overdramatic teenager. I appreciate your desire to make today special. I'm always struggling getting over my past." Neal said. Finn grabbed Neal holding him at eye level. "Hey, the past sometimes leaves behind hurtful marks. What's important is we try overcoming those makes. Remember, I'm always here Neal." Finn said. "I know Finn." Neal hugged the bridge of Finn's nose. "Ready now or we gonna sit here all afternoon?" Finn asked. They left the car, Neal sat inside Finn's chest pocket avoiding being seen. He's still embarrassed being the main focus. "Hello Finn!" Finn's immediately greeted by his friends and family, Neal sinks lower hearing gathering voices, none which he hardly recognizes besides few family members. "Your fine Neal-breathe, just breathe." Neal calmly repeated. "Where's the birthday boy?" Someone asked. Neal gazed in anxiety seeing Finn's large fingers slipping closer. "No...no... no!" Finn grabs Neal pulling him out, Neal's shyly gives a wave at all the people talking look at him. He's asked multiple questions about how's he doing, school, life with Finn, getting older, now it feels being 13 and many others. He keeps trying to answer all, but soon find himself stuttering. So many people too close, asking one to many questions. Finn's not noticing as he left Neal alone at the coffee table and talked amongst Ingrid and few other people. The Giant kids all ran around yelling and screaming very loudly hurting his ears, Neal could feel his anxiety getting worst. "Imagine getting beaten by one owns mother, dreadful no doubt." A woman proclaimed, few other women nodded in agreement. Block mom out of your head, their just talking. Neal talked to himself. "Dad? How comes he short than most humans? Is he a freak?" A boy asked. Neal's heart beat faster, worst enough he doesn't wanna be here, but all the guest are almost insulting. Why did Finn invite all these people? Would have been perfectly comfortable just him and the Knights. Not their friends, or anyone else. "I heard he got a good third detention! What a brat, definitely should install a human shock chip. Teach him about respect." Another woman chatted. Neal's chest tightens, kid kept getting louder, people talked more Neal's faults, other kept asking multiple question, and the world started getting blurry. "Hi Neal, happy birthday-what's wrong?" Neal looked up at Meg, famous singer, and Finn's girlfriend. "Meg, I want Finn..." He wheezed. "Neal are you alright? I can get go Finn." Meg was to late, Neal turned completely pale and black out. Few party members gasped, Finn glanced over seeing everyone crowding the passed out boy. "Crap!" Finn shouted, he pushed people away seeing Neal out cold."Buddy wake up!" Finn rapidly smacked his fingers against Neal's face. "Shit, Neal wake up!" Finn cried out. "What the hell happened? Never seen him pass out before!" Meg asked. "I have Meg. Neal got overwhelmed and couldn't handle all the anxiety. He'll be okay, never should have thrown a stupid party. Finn felt incredibly guilty knowing Neal wasn't over anxiety phase, sure Neal's gotten better but not to the point where he can handle tons of giants in his face. Finn even left Neal alone thinking his little brother would be alright, obviously he wasn't remotely correct. "I'll take him home. Last thing Neal probably wants is waking up around dozens of people." Finn picked Neal cupping him in his hands. "We can't send all these people away. The party started 10 minutes ago." Meg said. "I can and will. Today's not really turning out well. Neal won't be happy waking up. Apologized everyone, party's over." Finn announced. Many groaned of annoyance, Finn didn't care. All that matters is having chat with Neal later.
—————————————————
"Ugh, what happened?" Neal finally awaken, the young teens head hurts and nausea still fills his stomach. Neal flickers eyes open half expecting to see all the party people staring at him. Instead he's laying on top of Finn's bed, the lights turned off and Finn's no where in sight. Outside it's pitch black; Neal's been out longer than he thought. Over the beds edge are huge birthday wrapped gift, Neal sighs ashamed he somehow ruined his own party. Poor Finn probably upset, Neal wonders how the big brother can ever forgive Neal. "Worst birthday ever." He sighed. "I know grandma! Yes their pissed, but Neal's my top priority. Of course Neal's gonna get it! Listen, tell the family I'm sorry! Yes, I'll let you know how he's doing. Poor guy been resting all afternoon. Okay, I love you too. Bye grandma." Neal worries Finn's words, the little brother thinks Finn will punish him. Giant footsteps reach the closed Bedouin door, Neal panicked and hides beneath the huge blanket. Finn enters slightly smirking seeing a small lump under the sheets. "Wonder where Neal went? Huh, he was here a few minutes ago. Very weird, too bad he's gone. No one left to open all these gifts, and eat the birthday cake." Finn slowly walked over. "Man I'm tired! Think I'll take a nap. Hope no ones around; been having nasty gas lately!" Finn joked. "Leave me alone Finn." Neal whimpered. "Who said that? Oh wait who's this small guy?" Finn slipped his under the blanket pulling out Neal. Finn flopped stomach first onto the bed. Neal bounced closer to Finn's face smacking into his cheek. Neal wonders why Finn's acting nice, he's sure the giants angry. But the silly attitude Finn's showing proves otherwise. "Finn? Am I in trouble?" Neal quietly asked. "Of course not!" Finn said. "But I ruined the party. Can't believe I  passed out. Everyone's right about me, I'm a freak. Sorry Finn about today." Neal confessed.  "Quit that talk! I'm the one who should apologized. I pushed the limit, you got overwhelmed and blacked out. That's completely on me, never should have invited that many people or left you alone. Probably was harder celebrating after three years. Molly's such a terrible mother." Finn said. Neal decided he shouldn't continue the lie. "She's not entirely the reason I hate my birthday. See today was once me and dads day only. We always celebrated together every year until he died. After losing my dad, birthdays became meaningless. I would stay in my room and wish he was still here. That's why I didn't want a party because it's not the same without him. Kept that secrets because you got all excited planning a party and didn't wanna ruin upset you. Somehow I still ruined the whole event." Neal sighed. "Buddy, wish I knew that information earlier. Never would have gotten upset or even plan a party. Don't ever feel afraid telling me how your feeling." Finn smiled. "I know big buy. Best birthday gift is having you as my brother." Neal hugged Finn's cheek. "Wait! Got a gift for you. Eyes closed please." Finn said. Neal obeyed his wishes, the Giant grabbed something out of his pants pocket. A small silver human sized amulet which opens, Finn made Neal hold both hands out and dropped it. "Open your eyes now." Neal did, his hands were holding that silver amulet with a chain, the amulet had Neal's names initials engraved. "Open it dude." Finn told him. Neal flipped it opens, what he saw brought tears. Inside was a picture of Neal and the Chris, the same one Neal has in his bedroom. "Thought instead of having the picture in one spot, you could always have picture of your dad around and..."Neal again hugged Finn's face cheek, he  sniffled lightly. "Thanks Finn, I really love the gift." Neal thanked. "Good, wanna opens all these other presents and have some birthday cake?" Finn asked. "Sounds fun, can we watch Beauty and the Beast tonight too?" Neal said. "Sure kid. I think we're gonna take school off tomorrow and hang out the entire day." Finn said. Neal agreed with the plan. The night continued, as the later hours came Neal fell asleep on Finn's stomach. The giant grinned running a finger across Neal's face. "Happy birthday Neal."