Ch5

The dialer clicked. "Hello? Tony Stark speaking."

Peter's head spins. His jaw drops. The secretary looks equally shell-shocked and stunned to silence.

In Peter's vision, the fine lines of the office room start to waver.

He stares at the phone anyway.

Woah.

Just, woah.

Ned's gonna freak.

"Hello?" The man- Tony Stark- says again.

The word rings in Peter's ears as he moans in pain and everything goes black.

Peter regains consciousness slowly. His head is pounding like a drum beat. His hair is wet, and when he inhales, the coconut shampoo scent confirms it must've been washed. The rest of him, though, is in crazy pain. He pries his eyes open, and, yep, his skin is littered with grey and red burns.

Peter takes in these things as well in a split second:

He's in a hospital bed, in a hospital room- May's hospital; he recognizes by the insignia and the abstract paintings on the hallway walls.

And he's not alone in the room, either. He's joined by some doctors, his aunt, and Tony Stark.

They're all in intense conversation. Peter slams his eyes back shut and pretends to sleep while listening.

"He'll need a bit more time to heal," one of the doctors finishes, "but no permanent damage."

May thanks her, and Peter hears papers rustling and the woman showing May what to fill out. The doctors excuse themselves for a minute.

For the next few moments, it's just beeping machine noises filling the silence. Peter can sense the awkwardness in the air.

Finally, Tony sighs and says, "he's tough."

He's tough?  Was that a compliment or something? Peter couldn't tell. The guy's voice sounded exactly as it did on the news, except strained and worried instead of confident and apathetic. Before Peter can obsess any longer, Mr. Stark continues,

"I'm relieved he's doing well. That was a rocky situation back there. I'll cut to the chase, though, ma'am. I'm glad I was here for the kid, even just a little bit." Mr. Stark's shoes shuffle on the tile and he clears his throat. 

"I was told, by the secretary, he's my godson. I...I recognize him. I feel like I know him. I just don't remember..."

"I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself- I understand this is not your everyday experience. My name is May Parker."

"Oh," Mr. Stark mumbles. "Your nephew?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

"I know you were a friend of Mary and Richard's. They didn't get a chance to tell you..." May trails off.

Peter grits his teeth, feeling tense. Totally not how he'd wanted any of this to go.

He hears Mr. Stark excuse himself also in a flushed hurry.

May comes over and squeezes his hand. He opens his eyes and smiles at her.

She sits on the bed while Peter chatters about causal things like school, trying to distract himself from all the hectic events of the last 24 hours.

Thank you so much for reading! If you have any ideas of what else you'd like me to write, or if you just wanna talk about how your day is going, feel free to reach out! Have a great day/night!

Bye :)