Chapter Thirty-Seven. Woops.

Jess sat down at the kitchen table and waited for me to follow her. He eyes watched me suspicially as if she knew what I was going to say to her.  "What did you hear this morning?"

I pulled the chair out and sat down across from her. "Just you talking with Chaz."

She sighed. "So you did hear our plans."

I looked at her sad face. Why was she upset? Did she feel guilty? "Yeah I heard it all. About me not liking it, what you're going to do with the kids and whether or not you should tell me."

Jess half smiled. "Well if you want we can still do it and you can pretend you don't know?"

What?! Was she serious? "Are you kidding me? How could I just let this happen and pretend I don't know anything about it?!"

Jess shrugged. "I guess you can help if you must. It would have been a great surprise considering you weren't going to have one."

Okay she was just confusing me now? Have what? An affair? "Look Jess. If you had just come out and said it maybe I wouldn't be so upset about this but you had to go behind me back."

"Well that's what would have made it a surprise. If we didn't plan it behind your back it wouldn't be a surprise a would it?" She smiled again.

I lifted an eyebrow. "A surprise. Well you surprised me. There you happy!?"

Jess flinched as I rasied my voice. "I'm sorry Justin. I though you would have liked it. I'll call Chaz and tell him it's off." She pulled out her phone.

"So you had set plans? Like what? You were going to run away together and  dump me with the kids? You've got a sick mind Jess. I thought you were different." I pushed my chair out and went to walk out the room but Jess started laughing.

"Wait. I think I know what you're talking about." She started laughing even harder.

"This isn't a laughing matter!" I yelled at her.

Jess shook her head. "What exactly do you think is going on with me and Chaz Justin?"

I stopped in the doorway and turned to face her. "You know exactly what is going on. You're going to run off with him or something."

Jess smiled and shook her head. "No Justin. What's coming up in just under a month?"

I thought back to what mum had said.  "I'm turing 21."

Jess nodded. "Yes you are.  Piece this together. You heard us talking about what whether we should tell you or not? Well did we want it a surprise or not? You heard us talking about what to do with the kids? Well we can't take the kids to a club!" She started laughing once more.

I stood there dumbfounded for a matter of seconds before it all hit me. "You were planning a surprise party for me all along?"

Jess nodded. "Of course. I would never cheat on you Justin. Especially not with Chaz. I mean who would want Chaz over you?" She smiled and walked over to me.

"I'm so happy yet so..." I started but Jessicah finished my sentence.

"Embarrassed? Stupid?" She giggled.

I nodded. "Yep both of them. I'm sorry I doubted you."

She smiled. "It's okay Justin. Just don't ease drop. You'll get the wrong parts of the conversastion."

I rolled my eyes. "Not you too."

Jess gave me a confused looked. "Not me too?"

I shook my head. "It's nothing don't worry about it. I should go get Noah out the bath. Hes probably all wrinkly by now."

Jess nodded and kissed me on the cheek. "Go get him out and bring him down for dinner. I'll get Eliza and bath her afterwards."

I squeezed her hand and walked down to the bathroom. I pushed the door open and found Noah playing with his toy boat. "You ready to get out yet?"

Noah looked at me a nodded. "Yeah. The water is getting cold."

He stood up and stepped out the bath onto the bath mat and I wrapped a towel around him. "Mummy has dinner ready. So the quicker we you get dressed, the quicker we get to eat."

He smiled and licked his lips like he was showing me that he was hungry but suddenly his faced turned to one of sadness. "What were you and mummy fighting about?"

I shook my head. "It's nothing you have to worry about. Okay?"

Noah sighed. "I don't like fighting."

I knew he meant it. No one likes fighting. "I know you don't. We weren't fighting. We were just talking loudly."

"Yelling at each other?" He said and shook his head.

I sighed. "We'll yes but it doesn't mean we were fighting."

Noah looked away from me and stormed out the room. What did I do? I rolled my eyes and followed him down the hallway and into his bedroom. "What's wrong?"

He sat down on his bed and kept his eyes off me. "You shouldn't fight. It's bad."

I bit my lip and walked over to him before kneeling down to his level. "Like I said Noah, we weren't fighting. There was just something we had to sort out."

Noah sighed just as I did before and locked his eyes with mine. "You promise?"

I held out my little finger. "Pinkie promise."

He wrapped his little finger around mine and we shook on it. "Okay now you get dressed into your pyjama's and meet come ot the kitchen table for dinner okay?"

Noah nodded and  watched me until I left the room and pulled the door shut behind me. I had no idea he felt so strongly against fighting... he's so grown up for a 5 year old.

I shook my head and made my way back to the kitchen where Jess was plating up dinner. "So what's for dinner?"

She looked up at me for a second but then back to putting the pasta into bowls. "Spaghetti Bolognaise."

I smiled. That was my favourite food and she knew it. "Yum! Thanks Jess." I walked over and kissed her on the check before picking up Eliza who was playing with the cupboard door.

"Daddy where's Noah?" She asked with a frown.

"He's getting into his pyjamas." I replyed and placed her into her highchair.

She looked sad. "He's going to miss dinner?"

I shook my head. "Nope. He will be here any minute."

Eliza smiled. "Good!"

I rolled my eyes as she did this every night and sat down at the table. Jess placed a bowl in front of Eliza and she dug right in with her hands. "You're making a mess." I teased.

She looked up at me and then to Jess who giggled at her daughters reaction. "I'm not messy."

We both laughed as she picked up on piece of pasta and placed it neatly into her mouth. At tht same moment Noah came running around the corner and skidded to a stop at the table. He had his top on backward and his hair was a mess. "Is dinner ready!?"

I laughed. "Yes it it. But..." I used my finger to signal him to come over to me.

Noah rolled his eyes and moved over to where I was sitting. "What?"

"You have your shirt on backward bud." I pulled off his shirt and helped him put it back on the right way. Jess frowned at seeing the bruises once more. I would have to explain that later tonight.

He frowned as I did it and when I moved to fixing his hair he crossed his arms. "It's fine daddy."

"Okay then. Go sit down." I pulled out the chair next to me for him.

Yep, this was my family.