t h i r t y o n e

Start from the beginning

"Sure, it is. Because he is my son. I didn't even know the girl that died yesterday. I'm only worried and scared for the people I truly care for such as I was for you yesterday."

"Don't give me that bullshit again!" I exclaimed, because he couldn't stop telling me how much he cared about me these last days.

"I'm telling you the truth. I was genuinely scared that you would be the one laying dead on the floor, drowning in your own blood."

"Of course, otherwise you would have to look for someone else to destroy their life," I laughed dryly and rolled my eyes.

Elias suddenly forcefully hit the table with his fist, enraged by my comment, which made a plate filled with fruits fall down onto the floor, breaking into millions of pieces.

I jumped lightly out of shock, but managed to calm myself down instantly.

A maid came rushing to us to clean up this mess immediately but Elias sent her away, because he didn't want to be disturbed.

"I'm fucking tired of you treating me like I was a coldhearted bastard, who doesn't care for you at all!" He shouted furiously. "Every other person that kidnaps you would have already raped, hurt or killed you. But I give you space, never punish you or force you to do something you don't want to. You have privileges others dream to have in your position, but of course everything I get from you is hatred and rants!"

"So, you want me to be thankful for everything you've done to me?" I asked skeptically,  raising an eyebrow.

Elias groaned frustrated and ignored my comment.

"Tell me does it sound like I don't care for you, when I decided that it would be the best for you to go visit your family today so that you'll feel better after yesterday's incident?!" He exclaimed in a serious tone. "Tell me!"

My eyes widened as I slowly understood what he just said and I immediately felt so many emotions forming inside of me. I didn't see my parents for months now and didn't know how they were doing. I missed them so freaking much and it would mean the world to me to see them at least one last time in my life to tell them goodbye properly, after I've been torn out of my life.

"You really planned to...?" I asked hesitantly, because I couldn't imagine that he really meant what he said.

"Yes, I did but I'm not sure if I'm still in the mood for this after you've stressed me out again," Elias told me monotonously, standing up from his seat.

I didn't move and stared to the floor, regretting all of my words that caused me to lose such a unique opportunity to see my parents again. My heart ached and I felt pain and sadness rushing through my body.

"You don't have time to sit there all day. You have an appointment with Mason to take care of your injuries," Elias told me and I nodded slowly, still devastated of not seeing my parents again.

Elias sighed unnerved as he saw my somber facial expression.

"Right after your appointment we are going to visit them, okay?! Stop being a drama queen!" He said before leaving the dining room.

My mood automatically brightened and I didn't waste more time, immediately heading to the medical area. In my opinion, I didn't need a checkup, because besides a few bruises I was completely fine. But I would be dumb if I would do something that could enrage Elias and make him change his mind.

"Hey Natalie, where is Mason?" I asked one of the nurses that passed me by.

"He should be in his examination room," she responded with a smile, while putting her blond hair in a messy bun.

I thanked her and walked to Mason's examination room. As I entered the room Mason didn't immediately notice me, because he was completely focused on his phone, apparently reading something quite unpleasant.

"Am I interrupting you?" I asked hesitantly and sat down on one of the chairs that stood in front of his desk.

He looked up from his phone, but didn't smile or show any emotions.

"You came for the checkup, right?" He questioned monotonously, while typing something into his computer, still ignoring me somehow.

"I'm fine, I don't need a checkup. Just write Elias that I'm fine, so that he is happy."

"Can't do that, Boss' order," He replied in the same emotionless voice and made a gesture for me to get undressed.

"I have a say in all of this too. It's my body after all," I exclaimed angrily "And should I remind you that I'm also a doctor?! I can feel when something is wrong with me, but right now I feel just fine!"

"You are an amazing doctor, that's true," Mason retorted sarcastically.

"Drop that bastard attitude of yours and tell me why you're so pissed at me." I told him as his behavior got too much for me to handle. I didn't know what I did, but apparently there was something that enraged him.

"Nothing's wrong, Lawrence!" He said matter-of-factly and put on some gloves.
He again made me a sign to take my clothes off, but I wouldn't let him treat me like this.

"I'm gonna ask you one last time to give me a fucking answer!"

"You know I'm the one that has the right to be angry not the other way around, because you kept secrets from me!"

Panic formed inside of me at his words. I hoped that he didn't find out that I got kidnapped. Elias would destroy my life even more. But to be honest, I never really made a big effort in hiding the fact that I hated him.

Mason had become a good friend of mine in this hellhole, but if he knew such dangerous information I didn't know how it would end for me. In fact, I didn't know if I could really trust Maxon. It could be that Elias gave him the mission to spy on me. I too often forgot in what kind of place and situation I was.

People could be nice to me, but it could also only be a facade.

I didn't say anything anymore and luckily Mason neither for the whole examination, which was unusual because we usually talked quite a lot. But I didn't want to start a discussion with him that could possibly lead to me revealing information that could put me in trouble.

"Everything's fine," Mason informed me, while throwing away his gloves and sitting at his desk to type a report for Elias.

"I told you that I was fine," I retorted emotionlessly and put on my shirt. Mason didn't react.

I didn't see a reason why I should stay in here any longer so I just made my way to the door to leave Mason as fast as possible.

"I really can't believe why you did that," Maxon said in disbelief and I turned around to look at him.

"You would have done the same if you were in my position," I immediately retorted, thinking he was talking about the fact that I didn't tell him that Elias kidnapped me.

Mason started laughing dryly and looked at me as if I was the most craziest person he ever met in his entire life.

"It got revealed that all of the treatments and cures you created and claimed to be yours, were actually the inventions from a doctor called Dr. Spencer Channing. You stole them and lied to so many people around the world. That explains, why you decided to disappear all of the sudden. You knew people would find out about it." He stated, which completely caught me off guard.

What was he talking about?!

•••

Thank you so so much for 100K reads and over 200 followers. I can't believe it.

I wish you all beautiful and relaxing Christmas holidays. Stay safe and healthy.

-Ally