FORTY-FIVE: The End of the Prison

Start from the beginning

Bob, Sasha, Tyreese, Daryl, Lena and Noel joins us hiding, Noel tells me that Judith was with Mika and Lizzie. I was shielding Naomi as look to see the pirate looking asshole who was in front of a bloody tank, who has the nerve to call Rick to come to him to 'talk'. "It's not up to me. There's a council now. They run this place." Rick yells back at him, staying with us, I slide my hand into Carl's, before whispering to him, "this asshole doesn't stand a chance." Carl looked back me with a small smile sharing a nod with me, but my smile fades when I hear the Governor mention Hershel.

The Governor gestures to one of his new soldiers, who moved to the red car and my heart sank to my stomach as I see Hershel with his hands locked behind his back. "What about Michonne? She on the council, too?" I could sense Carl tense as he sees Michonne being man handled to kneel next to Hershel, I squeeze his hand to comfort with him. Rick yells back that he didn't make the decisions anymore, I could see anger start to bubble inside Carl, and I could see Maggie and Beth trying to not look too upset.

"You're making the decisions today, Rick. Come down here. Let's... Let's have that talk." I could feel Naomi squirm, "Nyx, go help Hershey and Michonne." Naomi scolded me as she tried to get out of my grip, "it's not that easy sweetpea..." I stood up looking at Rick, "we have to be smart about this," Rick approached Carl telling him that we can do this, Carl simply nods. Rick opens the chainlink gate, and starts making his way onto the field.

Daryl comes closer to us to make a plan, "we can't take 'em all on. We'll go through the admin building, through the woods like we planned. We ain't got the numbers no more. When's the last time someone checked the stash on the bus?" He asked Sasha, who said it was the "day before we hit the Big Spot. We were running low on rations on it then. We're lower now." I tell her that we will manage, turning to Noel, "I want you to go get Judith, and keep her alive okay?" Noel nods, he keeps an eye on the Governor as he slowly backs up to the cell block.

I look at Lena that moved to follow Noel, "Lena, I need you to gather more of our supplies, there's empty bags under my bed. Fill them as much as you can and put them on the bus." Lena looks at Noel worryingly but Noel gives her a confident nod, and she immediately stands straight. "I can do that." The young couple disappeared into the prison to fulfil their jobs.

"Dad, the guns." I nudge my head towards the laundry basket of gun, Daryl nods and slowly wheels the basket towards us, he passes one to Bob first. I let go of Carl's hand, replacing my hand with Naomi's and slowly make my way over to the basket. I slide magazines into my pockets and grabbed two guns, a Marlin Model 1893 rifle paired with a belt of .30-30 Winchester bullets for Carl, grabbing a M4A1 assault rifle for myself. I pretend to hug him from behind as I strap the bullet belt around him before sneakily giving him the gun.

We get in position, I get Naomi to stand behind me and hold onto my shirt, never letting go. I was next to Carl and Daryl was on the other side of him. I roll my shoulder back, and crack my neck a little before aiming my gun for the Governor. "We got to do something." Carl spoke up after a few minutes of silence, "your dad's got it." Daryl tells him, "they're talking. We could kill the Governor right now." I point out to Daryl, "from 50 yards?" He questioned me, in disbelief that I was agreeing with Carl, "I'm a good shot. I could end this right now." Carl argues, as I line my shot to the Governor's head, "yeah, or you could start something else. You got to trust him." I roll my eyes, "we trust Rick, we don't trust the Governor." I point out to Daryl, who sends me a sympathetic look.

"Shit." I curse as the Governor gets off the tank, grabbing Michonne's katana and holding it against Hershel's neck. "I'mma kill him." I whisper repositioning myself to get a better shot, "Nyx, no." I was surprised by the voice telling me off, "darlin', he's a bad man." I tried to reason with her, "not until he does sumthin' first." I look over at Daryl, he said the same thing to me about Tomas and I almost got bitten. I didn't need to wait too long as I watch in slow motion as the governor swings the sword, I shot a bullet and it went straight through his hand just after he chopped into Hershel's neck.

The Governor drops the sword, examines his hand and all I can hear is Maggie and Beth's painful screams of grief, my heart shattered at the sight of Hershel falling to the ground. He's saved my life more than anyone, and now he's gone but he will not die in vain. The Governor will, because we all opened fire, Carl shot the Governor's arm and I cover Rick as he runs for cover, killing one of the Governor's men.

The tank begins to move forward taken down fences, everyone started getting ready for our escape plan, I run to the bus to make sure Noel was there, "where is he? Where's Noel?" I asked those in the bus, "he went to find Lena and Phoebe. Judith's with him." I curse at the news, I pick Naomi and jog back over to Carl, "I need you to keep her safe, I need to find Noel, he went to get Lena and Phoebe. He still has Judith." I place Naomi on the ground, kneeling down to her height, "you stay close to Carl, listen to him and stay alive." Naomi nods, I pass her a knife knowing Carol has been teaching the kids how to use weapons.

"Carl, I love you. If you get overwhelmed by bullets or walkers, you go, I'll find you." Carl nods, he pulls me into a kiss, "And I love you Nyx. Stay alive." I smile at him telling him to stay alive, I change the magazine in my gun. I keep near the fence as I make my way to the cell block, shooting at all the Governor's people, not caring who I kill as long as they're dead. I need to protect them at all costs. "Motherfucker." I curse as a bullet splits the skin of my left arm, going straight through. I was near Bob, Ty and Sasha, Bob pulled me over, ripping off my shirt sleeve and tying it on the wound. I then run to the cell block with their cover.