Chapter Sixteen: Frenemies

"Get up, stand up. Don't give up the fight."

-Bob Marley-

***

Chapter Sixteen: Frenemies

The stream of Starlings scattered out in all directions. Cady found herself trailing behind Lydia and Bum as they led her out of the Hall.

A large flash of orange light flooded into the hallway as the first Starling threw open a set of wooden doors.

Rope bridges! They dangled precariously from all doors, winding in and out of a hanging maze that wove across the entire Hall. Starlings traveled to and fro from the network of suspended stairs to whatever destination they had in mind. All were lithe and graceful on their feet, leaping effortlessly from one bridge to the next.

Cady peered over the ledge and into the abyss below – one slip and she would plummet to an instant, painful death. She shuddered.

"Those bridges, can they even hold our weight?"

She gulped when she saw a group of Starlings chase each other on the suspended bridges, peals of laughter escaping them.

If Lydia was amused by Cady's expression, she did not even attempt to hide it. "The bridges are enchanted by Tinkers. They never sever, unless a giant drops down from above, then we shall see."

"There are giants?" Cady was incredulous. "Like Jack and the Beanstalk giants?"

Bum gave Cady a confused look. "Jack and the what? Sounds like a disease."

"Giants are the physical manifestation of Asteroids Spirits. Nasty and dirty creatures, yuck." Lydia crinkled her nose at the thought of giants and then shuddered. She took a step forward and Bum followed.

"Where are we going?" Cady took a tentative step onto the first wooden panel. It seemed sturdy enough. Exhaling in relief, she shifted her entire weight onto the bridge before venturing forward, catching up with Lydia and Bum.

"Master Lorcan's," Bum bristled. "We got to hurry. He'll make us run a hundred laps if we come in late."

Their shoes slapped against the cold asphalt floors as they entered a great hall. Sunlight filtered from the many windows, shining upon the star-runes carved onto the ceiling. An enormous splay of weapons lined the walls, polished to the point of blinding as it reflected the spokes of morning light.

Above the wainscoting ceiling, a large marble statue stared down impassively at its visitors. His eyes were twin orbs of emeralds. His sharp face sported a head of messy curls and a permanent scowl as he raised an enormous axe above his head. He was wearing nothing but a loincloth, which would have made Cady laugh at all occasions. But the statue emanated a fierce, protective aura that dissolved away whatever nude joke she had in mind.

Standing under the cacophony of weapons was a tall, broad man. His arms were folded across his powerful chest as he surveyed the Starlings before him, an exact copy of the statue's expression.

Cady glanced over her shoulders, catching sight of a pair of very familiar faces – cruel blue eyes and sunshine golden hair – the Strauss twins. Her heart gave an angry lurch at the memory of their first acquaintance by the kitchens.

"Late again. Do you Starlings even have ears?" The man – Master Lorcan boomed, his voice thick with impatience. "Can't I even have a decent batch of Starlings to train who can actually listen to orders?"

Master Lorcan's brown eyes swept over Cady who shifted her gaze to her converses.

"Mistress Tucana informed me that we have a new student. Come up here and face me like a man, I don't have all day." He said in a bored tone, wringing his hands.