Chapter Thirty-Two: Theft (Part II)

"Josh! Where are we going?" Cady asked in a carefree voice. It had been ages since she last felt so light, so free, and unburdened by the shadows and pain. It was all gone.

She was running across a large span of green meadows, the grass undulating. The breeze played with her flaming red curls. A myriad of flowers bloomed along the sides of the greenery, shimmering like crystals.

Josh stood on the other side of the grass crests, waving cheerily at her. His eyes sparkled with joy when they met hers.

"Cady! Come! It's a whole new world over here! You must see this!"

An easy laugh escaped Cady's lips.

"Okay!"

She leaped over the little mushrooms littering the entire lawn like powdered diamonds. Dewdrops clung gently to the leaves, rolling off the blades of grass, catching the beautiful sunlight. It had just rained.

The moment Cady caught up, Josh suddenly sprinted and took off. This was repeated several times until Cady was dizzy from exhaustion.

"Josh! Don't run! I am trying to catch up!"

Josh only smiled again. He pushed up his glasses before he slid down another grassy slope.

"Catch me, Cady!"

"Josh!" Cady panted. "Stop!"

Pausing to catch her breath, she looked down the slope where Josh had vanished seconds ago.

A bright, angry blaze greeted her. The heat was excruciating, forcing her backwards. Eyes watering, she tried to see past the black smoke seeping out from the ground like toxic fumes.

It was a blood bath. The entire kingdom over the slope was on fire. She could most vaguely make out the upside-down turrets of the Hall of Games. The five Celestite towers, once tall and majestic lay shattered, crumbling into smoking ruins.

The Starlets have lost a major battle against Decanates.

The shrieks of dying children and mothers tore at Cady's heartstrings. Starlets were fleeing, but their attempts at escaping were in vain as Decanates of all shapes and sizes cut them down with their lethal claws.

This shouldn't be here. Cady thought. I shouldn't be here. Where is my brother?

As if watching from afar, she saw Josh in a full set of armor that shone like a new penny under the blood red sun, charging toward a grotesque creature.

The creature only smiled at the advancing rider, as though it already knew who the victor was.

Josh's sword was raised high as he charged into battle, followed by a horrific squelch and a scream of agony that tore from her brother's throat.

Her brother was crying out her name, over and over again.

"Cady!"

"CADY!"

"Wake up!"

Cady jerked awake. The sides of her cheek came off damp. She realized she had been crying in her sleep. Her entire body felt cramped. She wiped off the stray tears with the back of her hand.

"Cady!" a familiar voice hissed urgently. "Just turn around and face me, goddammit."

"Lydia!" Cady exhaled in surprise. "What are you doing down here? You're supposed to be in bed, recovering!"