Chapter One: Havoc Haven

"Painted faces laughed. It was like a mad carnival where everyone was oblivious, lost in the bliss of chaos, a throng unaware of a bomb planted beneath the floorboards."   

-Kelly Creagh, "Nevermore"

***

Chapter One: Havoc Haven

The bouncer did not look happy when Cady insisted she had lost her tickets. He shrugged. "Sorry, kiddo. Rules are rules. No tickets, no entry."

Josh leaned against the tall metal gates and flashed the bouncer a grin. Cady rolled her eyes, knowing at once what he was up to. She also knew the bouncer would never fall for her brother's charms, no matter how cute he was in those hipster glasses.

Days ago, Josh managed to get his hands on two tickets to Havoc Haven: a traveling Halloween carnival infamous for their wild, spectacular show. How he did it, Cady did not want to know. All she was sure of was that after anticipating this trip for over two weeks, their hopes were dashed when their father tossed Cady's jacket into the washer, effectively destroying the tickets.

"Come on, buddy—help us out." Josh slung an arm over the bouncer's shoulder. "Show some Halloween spirit and grant us entrance! I'll buy you a drink later..." He waggled his eyebrows.

"You're underage." The bouncer pushed Josh's arm away. "Don't make my job harder than it is. No tickets, no entrance. Now scram—you're clogging up the line."

Josh hunched his shoulders and bobbed his head. "Seriously? There ain't anyone behind us!"

The bouncer's face swelled like a bullfrog, his mustache twitching as Josh continued to blather. Cady, unable to bear one second more of her brother's failed smooth-talk, grabbed his arm and dragged him aside.

"What do you think you're doing?" she hissed. "You're pissing him off! Do you want to ruin our only chance of getting in?"

Josh placed a hand on Cady's shoulder in a way that was more condescending than supportive. "It's all okay, sis—just leave this to your big bro. I can handle it." He winked.

Before Cady could stop him, Josh was already back in the bouncer's face. The bouncer cracked his knuckles. It was a showdown that could result with either a black eye or being thrown out mercilessly.

"Is there a problem?"

Surprised, Cady turned toward the deep, booming voice. A tall man came into view. His dark business suit complemented the silver walking stick gleaming in his left hand and he exuded an elegant old-fashioned air that was refreshingly out of place for modern times. Though his sudden presence was slightly daunting, his smile was warm and reassuring.

"Mr. Aladfar, sir." The bouncer straightened shoulders. "Apparently, they forgot their tickets."

Mr. Aladfar's smile widened, his black moustache curling upwards. "Is this true, young lady?" he said, directing his question to Cady.

Josh opened his mouth to reply, most probably to sass the older man. Cady elbowed Josh hard in the ribs before he could spout something stupid. He winced, but kept his mouth shut.

"Err... I left it in my jacket, which my dad then threw into the washer." Smiling apologetically, Cady twiddled her thumbs.

Mr. Aladfar threw his head back in hearty laughter. Still smiling, he motioned at the bouncer with his silver walking stick. "It's alright. Let them in Carl."

The bouncer's face reddened, so much he resembled a beetroot. "B-But what if they are lying? The rules—"

Mr. Aladfar silenced the bouncer with a dismissive wave. "I said, it's fine, Carl. Do I have to repeat myself?"