[1]

Caltech

[2006]

"Well, welcome to the team, Doctor," Agent Hotchner, better known as Hotch, said as he put a case file on his desk and raised his hand out and held it in front of me. I did was any other person would do, I shook his hand. "Let me show you to your desk," He said leading me out of his office and towards a few desks, one of which was empty. In front of the empty desk was a brunette woman who was talking to the black man leaning against her desk. And next to them, was a skinny man, with his head in a book. "Prentiss, Morgan, Reid. I'd like you guys to meet Doctor Brooke Ross. She will be joining the team!" The three of them got up and shook my hand. Hotch pointed at them and introduced them. "This is Emily Prentiss, Derek Morgan," He continued pointing at the brunette and then the tall muscular man. "And Doctor Reid."

"Wait, as in the Doctor Spencer Reid?" I asked enthusiastically raising my hand in front the skinny man. He awkwardly nodded, but didn't shake my hand. "Sorry, I don't shake hands," he said awkwardly, probably wondering how I knew him.

"Oh it's fine," I said shoving my hands in my pocket. "Wow, I- I'm a big fan Doctor Reid! I also went to CalTech university and I went to your lecture a few years back."

"Oh great, another genius on the team," Agent Morgan said sarcastically. "Now pretty boy has someone else to talk to." Prentiss bit her bottom lip holding back from laughing.

Doctor Reid rolled his eyes then looked back at me. "Hotch said Doctor you-"

"I have a Ph.D. in Physics. Quantum physics to be precise," I explained as I took my box to my desk.

"Fascinating. Well, welcome to the team Doc-"

"You can just call me Brooke," I said with a smile. I wasn't used to being called Doctor and it felt pretty weird.

He nodded and said, "Okay, Brooke!" Agent Prentiss and Doctor Reid both sat back in their chairs and Morgan leaned back on Prentiss' desk.

"So, Brooke, are you also a protege like pretty boy here?" Morgan asked.

"Me? Oh, I could never. It would be the dream though. You know, to have 3 PhDs and 2 BAs," I explained. Reid's eyes widened when he heard what I said, and I wasn't a stalker. "I'm not a stalker, I swear, you're just kinda a really big deal back at Caltech," I said. He sighed in relief and nodded.

"So you didn't graduate high school when you were 12?" Prentiss asked.

"No, I graduated normally, when I was 18." Morgan and Prentiss both looked at each other and then went back to work. After about 15 minutes, Morgan looked up at a blonde-ish girl head for a room.

"Ay baby girl!" He yelled.

"Baby... girl?" I asked Reid with concern.

"Uh, it's his nickname for her," He explained. Kind of a weird nickname but alright, I guess.

"Come here there someone we want you to meet!" The girl started walking towards us. Morgan pointed at me to introduce me. "This is Doctor Brooke Ross. She's on the team now. Brooke this is my genius, Penelope Garcia. She's our IT girl."

"Wait another Doctor?" She asked Morgan while still shaking my hand. Prentiss, Morgan, and Reid all nodded. She looked kind of scared of me. "Are you fun to talk to?"

"I uh, I don't know? I'm not very talkative," I explained.

"Oh, so you're not gonna make us feel stupid with random facts every once in a while?" Spencer looked at Garcia with a frown. "No offense Spencer."

"I might if I'm stressed."

"Well, you're gonna do that with him. Other than that it's very nice to meet you Doct-"

"Just call me Brooke," I said with a smile. She smiled and nodded.

"Well I gotta go back, I see you guys later!" She said walking back to a room. I unpacked my box and talked to the three, mostly to Reid. I also got to know a lot about them, this time mostly Prentiss. About a month or two ago, Elle Greenaway who used to work here was shot but she recovered and was back on the field again. On one case she shot a rapist and eventually quit I guess. Emily was Elle's replacement. Reid offered to show me around after I finished setting up my desk, and I agreed. He showed me all the rooms and introduced most agents. He was explaining a few stuff when a tall blonde woman walked into the BAU with determination.

"Hey! Mornin', JJ How was your..." Spencer was saying as she walked by. She didn't stop to say hi or even look at us. She fully ignored us and walked straight to Hotch's office. "Weekend?" Spencer finished. I looked at her as she entered Hotch's office then I looked at Spencer to ask him who she was, but he apparently read my mind. "That's Jennifer Jareau, we call her JJ. She's uh, she's the media/police liaison," He explained. I nodded. After a few minutes, JJ came out of the office.

"Team! Conference room now!" She said.

"Come on!" Spencer said leading me to the conference room. Morgan, Garcia, and Prentiss followed us in. I sat on a chair next to Spencer. He looked at me and smiled and then looked at JJ. She pressed the play button on the recorder.

"I'm sorry, Did you say a bomb, sir?" A female voice said.

"On a bus... in the city where it all began. Get my message out," Another voice, this time a man's voice, said.

"Message? What message?"

"That this is only the beginning. Until it is brought back under control, people will die." After that JJ pressed the stop button.

"In the last 20 minutes, virtually identical threats have been made to most of the coast-to-coast news networks in the country. It's the same information just slightly different words," JJ explained.

"So it's not a recorded message or script. Displays a measure of confidence," Morgan said. This means the guy wanted attention. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just call one?

"He could have easily just called one network. This guy obviously wants attention," I said. JJ and an older man who was standing and drinking coffee looked at me.

"JJ, Gideon, this is Doctor Brooke Ross, the newest member of the team," Hotch said. I got up and shook their hands and sat back down.

"Alright, it's typical behavior for a personal cause bomber. One bomb has a finite impact. It's just a little package. Make a bunch of phone calls, that magnifies my explosion 100 times," Gideon explained. We discussed things for a while but since we didn't know where the bomb was, we were going to have to wait.