"Don't say that, bae." C's pleaded. "You talking real cash money thangs, and we betta than that. Holla at me." He waved his hand at the now conscious chick, sitting up in his bed. "If you let me, I can explain all of this."

"Puhlease." Cleo snapped. "You ain't gotta explain nothin' to me. I was here." Suddenly exhausted her head dropped back on her captors chest. Unexpected comfort seeped into her pores. Drawing a shaking breath she continued. "From beginning to the low down end and every nasty thang in between. Save your explanations, C's. 'Cause there ain't enough words in the English and Spanish language to give you the excuse you need to make me understand any of this." Tears brimmed her lower lids, but anger quickly burned them away.

C's shook his head in denial, his mouth set in a stubborn clench. "You gotta hear me out, bae. Don't let this be what kills us. We stronger than a trick who means less than a couple of hours to me. Stop trippin'."

"A trick?" The trick in question, sprung from the bed holding her neck, her voice leaving her mouth in a raspy whisper. "You wasn't sayin' that when you were leanin' over me, pantin' like a dog and shit in the club. Talkin' about, how you loved my phat ass. How you was gonna marry this ass. And you betta believe he ain't say a damn thing about a He-Man girlfriend, because I would've remembered."

"Ooh, let me go now and I swear I'll make it quick." Cleo pleaded with the dude holding her.

Laughter rumbled from his chest. "No, Prima. You'll put that bitch to sleep permanently this time, and all game to the side, she isn't worth the bid those Lawz'll make you do."

"Man let them girls fight." Taz laughed from his spot in the corner.

"Puhlease let me split him, vato," Ant said, straightening from his lean on the door frame.

Taz threw up his arms, and groaned. "How many times I gotta tell you, I didn't know that was your girl? Get over it, ese. I don't even remember what the chick looks like."

"Caesar," Angela said, sliding off the bed to stand. "Since your friend is feeling better, maybe you should take her home."

C's waved a distracted hand at Angela, eyes still trained on Cleo. "Okay, whatever. Call her a cab or something." He took a step toward her, but stopped when she strained against Putt's hold. "Bae. Please. Let's talk. I'll send everybody out so it's just me and you. Cool?"

"Okay, C's." Cleo agreed, forcing the anger from her face. "But before we do, let me know one thing first."

He closed the distance between them, reaching out to palm her cheek, but dropping his hand when she flinched from his touch. "Anything?"

"Anything?" She asked, searching his face for a lie.

"Yeah, bae. Anything?"

"How you get those scratches on your back? Talk to me, tell me that." Cleo asked, wishing she could fold her arms across her chest.

C's expression blanked, his mouth fell open and the only thing that came out was air.

Taz laughed and shook his head. "Don't answer that without yo' lawyer, niño. She tryin' to cross you up, for real."

"Humph. That's what I thought." She shifted her weight from one foot to the other, just getting started. "Okay so since you don't wanna answer that how about this? Why am I even around if it ain't in you to keep it real? Puhlease. Help me understand. 'Cause I was happy enough to just be your friend. What is it about me that makes you wanna dog my ass like a rental car?"

"Sorry, bae." He mumbled, his eyes bloodshot red from the alcohol that wafted from his pores in foul-smelling waves. "Thought you were going home."

"Oh." She worked her arms loose to clap her hands together in his face. "So if I wasn't here that would've made this right?" Putt's hold on around her dropped.