Chapter 18 |Unedited|

Start from the beginning

One look at Leo and her face flushes. Everyone takes notice of her reaction to him and breaks away from her, giving her some space. Her own emotions seem to surprise her, and suddenly this girl that was once surrounded is shy. 

"Leonard" she approaches him, trying to re-gain the confidence she had when she first walked in. She fixes her posture as she closes the distance between them. She pretends she's not affected by him, but she is. 

"Beck" he says again offering his charming smile. 

Leo embraces her with a warm hug and they start to talk as if they're the only two present, completely ignoring the fact that they're being scrutinized by everyone in the room.  I feel a bit of jealousy build in me. 

I become more green-eyed when I remember that this woman walked in after someone had asked about the 5th item on Leo's bucket list. 

I'm on my feet grudgingly, wanting to be alone, away from everyone here. I don't care whether my leave is rude.

I run upstairs, grab a jacket and a select a book from the library, then find a patio to sit at in the backyard. 

I open the first page of the book I picked up, intending to get lost in its words, but my head is cluttered. I'm frustrated, but mostly tired. I want to leave. 

"Can I join you?" Braden's deep voice vibrates in my ear. He's slowly walking towards me, the lights are low, so I can only see his figure until he moves closer and takes a seat next to me. 

"Um sure." I'm reluctant to be around anyone. 

We sit in silence for a few minutes before Braden pretends to clear his throat. "You walk much faster than you run" I blink perplexed "Excuse me?" I ask innocently. 

He chuckles "Following you up here took some work." I'm not sure whether he's complementing me or insulting me, or both. "You followed me?" 

"Clearly." he says back, taking the book I was reading from my hand and glancing the cover.

"Why?" I question him, Braden doesn't come off as the caring type.  

"I thought I should distract you while your mate makes out with his old flame downstairs." My eyes open wide, I stand from my seat, and a menacing growl escapes my lips. My wolf is raging. 

 Braden chuckles "I was joking. Envy doesn't suit you." 

I sit back down, scoffing at his assumption, which is true, but I don't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he is right . 

"I'm not envious. I don't care what Leo does." I take back my book from his hand and sit back down, holding my wolf back from surfacing. His brows raise "It doesn't bother you that the woman he's with downstairs, was number 5 on his bucket list?" 

My heart jumps. Is she truly on his list? "Who is she? I've never seen her before."

"For someone who doesn't care, you're asking a lot of questions." He taunts 

"I asked one." 

The backdoor leading to the patio suddenly slams open, Cora is making her way towards us. She's visibly upset about something, her footsteps have a heaviness to them. 

She's holding a whine glass and sets it down on the table as she takes a seat closer to Braden. He looks as confused as I am.  

"Please, excuse me" I say, thinking it's best that I leave them alone. 

"You're excused" Cora says rolling her eyes, as I pack my things and head back inside. I'm not sure where to isolate myself at this point. 

Hearing my mate's voice has me fleeing the hallway, looking for a place to hide. I open the nearest door and hide behind it, but leave the door slightly open so I can eavesdrop. I'm in no mood to speak with Leo right now, hearing the voice of Beck beside him makes me want to speak with him even less.  

"Is she down here?" Beck's frail voice irritates me. I'm starting to dislike this female as much as I do Cora. She's been nothing but intrusive since she's arrived, following my mate like a lost puppy. 

"I don't see her, but I can feel her, she's close." Leo sounds frustrated, angry even. He's been searching for me. 

"I'm sorry Leo, this is my fault. I shouldn't have came."  Leo shakes his head "I'm not angry with you Beck, just with the situation and please don't get me wrong, I'm happy you're here" They're silent for a moment, I'm tempted to peek through the door to see why they're silent. 

I take my chances and slightly poke my head through the door only to be met face to face with my mate and the 5th item on his bucket list. 

"Found you" Leo says looking disappointed. I see Beck smiling behind him. My attention is entirely on Beck, I'm staring her down even when I don't mean to. I want to find her appeal, why she's loved by everyone here. 

"Amira, I want you to meet Beck" Leo pulls my arm gently, when he sees I'm not moving or acknowledging this female. 

I stare at the female disinterested, so she decides to break the ice. "Hi, Amira, it's nice to meet you." I notice there's a sadness in her tone when she says my name.  She's standing behind Leo, rubbing her right arm uncomfortably. 

"Hi Becky"I say to her. She blinks a couple times as if I had said something wrong "It's just Beck. Short for Rebecca."

 I realize my mistake when I see the hurt in her eyes "I'm so sorry" I cover my eyes in shame. She seems genuinely hurt. I'm trying to right my wrong. She fakes a smile and says "It's okay." I see Leo's reaction to my slip-up, he frowns and gently rubs her back while whispering what I can only assume is an apology on my behalf.

I'm both jealous and angry that's he's comforting her. 

"I'll leave you two alone" I tell both of them walking away without permission. I'm dragged gently by soft hands. Her hands are feminine. She has long fingernails painted white, her skin is smooth, not a vein in sight; her hands show no indication that she's toiled for anything. "No, I'll leave. It was nice meeting you Amira" she says. She forces a smile, but I see nothing but pain in her eyes. It would have been polite for me to tell her likewise, pretend that it was pleasant getting to meet her, but I'm no good at lying. 

She leaves us alone, I listen as her footsteps become distant.

When she can no longer be seen or heard, my mate turns to me disappointed "Becky? I'm sure you're aware of the negative connotation behind that name." he questions me. 

"I know, but ironically she fits the description." 

He frowns "Amira, you know nothing about her" He growls at me instinctively protecting her. We're both silent. 

I'm bitter. As soon as I think we're making a breakthrough another obstacle appears. I think he still has feelings for Beck, feelings he never had for Cora. Cora was company, Beck he loved. 

My mind clutters and I find myself feeling weak, drained, I miss home, my family. "I'm leaving first thing in the morning; enjoy the rest of your birthday" I say to him and run up to our bedroom to pack my bags.

 Leo doesn't follow me; he doesn't tell me to stay.

In the morning, I meet Braden at the front door. It's 3 am, I didn't expect anyone to be up. 

"What are you doing up at this hour?" 

"How do you think you're getting home?" He says with a boyish smile and I take notice of his single luggage beside him.