Chapter Forty Four: ICYMI

Heyo guyssssss. How are you all doing? Missed me? Thank you☺️💞✊🏽. I've been down with a huge sort of writer's block, Sha, I'm over it and I hope you all like this chapter. So please leave a comment and vote 🙏😇

For my darling Hajjo. Happy Birthday Darling 🎉🎉, May God bless and keep you. ❣️

Just as I stuffed my praying mat into it's cylindrical hole in my closet and shut the door, my phone rang whee I'd placed it to charge last night. I took of my hijab and played with my shoulder length braids as I walked towards the phone.

I picked it just as the last ring began, "Hello, Assalamualaikum." I greeted Sa'ad who said the full reply of my salam to me, I climbed back into bed and got under my duvet covers. It had rained heavily after Baaba dropped me off at my gate, it only stopped just after I woke for Subh prayers.

"How are you doing? How was the event you attended yesterday?" I sighed and thought of what part to talk about that would not seem like complaint. The good food.

"I had fun, the food was good. Well catered event." He chuckled and the sound of it did something to my insides. I shook my head to clear the after effects of his chuckle, I don't know if people know that a person's voice can do several somethings to others. I'm just going to shut up and listen to his voice.

"Asides the food, what else? Layla said you wore some Nigerian designer, who was that again?" I heard him tut to himself trying to remember La perfezione. I mentioned the name and he made a sound of remembrance, making me laugh out loud.

"I'm sure you wanted to talk to me about something yesterday?" I asked, drawing the conversation back to the reason he called. He coughed lightly and I smiled, adjusting myself further in bed, waiting for him to speak.

"I like you, I can't seem to get you out of my head or mind, so I'd like to take you out on a date. Let's get to know one another, if you'd like chaperones? My sister can come along." My eyes flitted across the stark white pop ceiling as one thought flashed through my mind; this man is thoughtful. I'm not sure I can do anything with anyone right now, it's like a big hole widened in my chest since I found out Abdul was not in my life because he had an inkling of like for me.

My gaze flitted around my room and I found myself saying yes due to the sincerity I heard in his voice. Even if he weren't sincere, time would tell. I'm willing to give out that time.

"I'll go out with you. Pick a date." His voice became very excited as he shouted Yes! I covered my mouth as I tittered, in my whole life I don't think anyone has ever been so excited to hear me say yes. I think that's not so true, Kaka was very excited when I agreed to meet Baaba.

"How about Sunday? Would that work for you?" I leaned over the bed and took my iPad from where it was lying, charging. Unplugged it and went through my schedule which was what I looked at before calling asleep last night. I'm free on Sunday all day.

"Sunday is fine. What time?" I asked in return. He said he would get back to me and after saying thank you several times, he ended the call with a Salam.

I put down my phone and fixed my gaze on the square light filled mirror on the left side of my room, wondering if I made a good decision. Just as I began to over think what would be or what would not be, I cut off all my thoughts and got out of bed. Since sleep has fled, I'd better spend my time reciting words of calm from the Qur'an.

I picked up a black hijab cap, wore it and slid back into my covers, picked up my phone and opened my Quran app. I opened the random verse part of the app and the first verse that jumped at me was, 'For Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him).' I shut my eyes and muttered, Alhamdulillah. All I'm going to be doing from now on, in all situations is, Tawakkul, utterly putting my trust in Allah and His plans for my life.

********

"Iyamé?" I called out as I reached the kitchen, adjusting my wristwatch. I seem to have lost some weight since this watch that used to fit me so well is now a little loose. I was taken aback and looked around myself, how did I not notice.

I shook my head and faced Iyamé who was waiting for me. Then my eyes zeroed into what she was doing, making me widen my eyes. "Why are you the one doing that?" She laughed and put down the rag she had been using to wipe down the cooker, folded it and put it in the sink. For later washing that has to be.

"One of the girls, her sister gave birth, today is the naming ceremony, so I gave them an off to attend the party. You did say I was the head around here, so I gave them an off day." I nodded and told told her where I was going off to. Adjusted the bag I was carrying and turned to leave the house when my phone rang, it's surely Huda. We're both going to Rabiah's store opening today.

I changed my slippers at the door and wore a pair of open toed biubiu heeled slippers. I opened the door and walked out to be greeted with Huda's wide smile waving at me from behind the windshield of her car. I automatically smiled and walked briskly to enter the passenger side of the sleek red Toyota SUV.

"Hey!" I greeted loudly as I drew on the seat belt and shut the door. "How are you doing?" She asks me with a smile on her beautiful face, all so Ma Sha Allah. I leaned over and gave her a slight hug, my seatbelt holding me back a bit.

"I'm doing fine, Alhamdulillah. I'm so pumped, let's go party!" I laughed and she reversed out of my compound, watching her side mirror with such rapt attention as she did so. When she was settled and began the drive out of my street, she asked how the party last night was.

"My guy. I just don't want to complain to Baaba. You know, since it's the first time he's taking me out and all, but rich people are snobby! Innalilah! One actually looked me over and said I should not think I was wearing anything high end, because La perfezione is so last year. This Botox cheeked woman with one smile came and said she was watching my back, apparently, my father's ex wife has many friends in those circles." Huda shook her head and swerved into another street to lead to the expressway. 

"You just have to overlook them, their generation thinks they can turn anyone into a puddle by pouring a rain of fear on them." I laughed very heartily at her very true comment. Then I turned and asked of her husband.

"Baby is fine oo. Except for those his family members. Not even immediate ones, I don't have an ounce of problem with them, but you see his aunts? They're are notorious troublemakers." She stated and I furrowed my brows. I remember Huda's mother in law as someone with no trouble, always smiling, very lovely beautiful woman.

"So, you remember I told you I wanted to open an asoebi clothing store here in Abuja?" I nodded, I was in the meeting with Kaka, Ma and my aunt where they agreed to out some money into the business, give her trade secrets and so on.

"Baby's aunt says she won't allow me use her nephew's glory." I narrowed my eyes at her, asking what that meant. She hissed, concentrated on adjusting her mirror and continued driving along Ahmadu Bello way, normally at this time we'd be doing selfies or something else, but this is too serious a discussion to take out any phone.

"She's one of those people who go to those fake clerics who give them fake prophecies about themselves. These prophecies then break homes apart. I don't even know what prompted her to visit them, my mother in law told her if my plan and next thing she's calling baby, telling him to be careful he'd not be promoted because I've used his glory. Apparently, she wants him to come do some cleansing bath or rubbish." I sighed and looked out the window with a roll of my eyes. All these nonsense isn't useful but people don't know but they continue to visit them.