Chapter Twenty Seven: Sigh of Relief

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical doctor, neither am I a professional. I've only made use of my knowledge from google and all that I researched before writing this chapter. Please take it easy on me doctors. 🙉🙈

"This is difficult to hear and even far more difficult for me to say to you." The Pakistani doctor who had been flown in from London sat in front of Labeebah's aunt and uncle and showed them X-ray sheets of her back and neck.

"Take a look at this break." He pointed with a joystick at the computerized X-ray sheets that were brightened up by the computer's back light. He circled another part and they saw how it had bent.

"Thankfully, Doctor Ma'mun here, removed the compression. That compression could have killed all chances of repair, that repair is what I want to do now." He watched as the bleary-eyed parents of the twenty four year old actress nodded, both of them must not have slept in a while since they were able to summon him over in just five days.

"So, is there hope? Doctor Ma'mun said you could do something." He nodded solemnly, and twisted his mouth at Labeebah's mother before slowly saying.

"I'm about to go in there and for the first time in my entire career, I solemnly swear that I'll do everything in my power to ensure that she walks again. But you both must get ready to ensure that she attends physiotherapy, sees a good psychologist or all this work I'm about to go put in will be in vain." They both nodded and the doctor got up, satisfied and after shaking hands, he went to wash his hands.

"How long is the surgery supposed to last Professor?" The one whom the question was for, stopped in the motions of scrubbing his hands, he turned to Ma'mun with a strange smile and asked, "You like her?"

Ma'mun laughed and went to get his phone, flicked through and found the video he wanted to see and showed it to the professor.

About four minutes later, the man shut his eyes and said, "This is so gory. Why did you show me?" Ma'mun laughed and instead of speaking, he walked back to the chair.

"Her husband did that to her? She's surely going to divorce him so why are you not talking about your interest?" Ma'mun shook his head at his mentor and asked, "Do you think I've gotten over Rukoyah?"

The professor didn't reply, he only patted his hands with the tissue the self generated tissue dispenser had handed him. "So, why did I hear a tremor in your voice when you called me? You always have a detachment to your patients. Not this one." He stated.

Ma'mun sighed. "I'm looking after her for someone, and no one deserves what happened to her, I think I just finished watching the video at the time, so I was a little emotional." After a beat, he added, "Sorry."

"There is no need to apologise. Just be my assistant." Ma'mun nodded and took off his coat, it was showtime.

****

About twenty two hours later, nearly a whole day, Rabiah had fallen asleep and woken up five times, prayed twelve times, leaned in Hakeem's arms in trepidation an uncountable number of times.

Zainab, didn't even go near the operating room, she prayed non-stop, she fasted all day and finally broke her fast at seven. But didn't stop praying, over the short time they had known, Labeebah had come to mean so much to her.

At last, the operating room doors slid open and Dr Ma'mun walked out looking ashen and for the first time since the occurrence, Labeebah's uncle's heart beat erratically as he didn't see his foster daughter wheeled out of the operating room behind the doctor.

"Assalamualaikum everyone," He greeted when he reached them, they were all alert now. They greeted him back with both enthusiasm and trepidation rolled into one which raised their voices to a higher than normal pitch.

"How's Labeebah?" Dr Ma'mun bit on his lower lip, found a chair due to the dizziness that overcame him and reminded him that nothing nourishing for over a day. When the wave of dizziness passed, he swore to bill Sa'ad really hard for this hard work.

"Ms Labeebah is fine. She's going to be recuperating for a long long time and needs your help. So, I'll advice you all to go sleep, freshen up, rest yourself emotionally.

We've put her in another induced coma to ensure that her wounds heal to a good extent before she begins to move around." He watched her uncle flick his eyes to the doors of the surgery over and wondered with a smile what he was thinking about. He didn't have to wonder long, because the old man asked.

"Where's she then? When can we see her?" Dr Ma'mun glanced at him and resisted the urge to chuckle. Diezemane was a world class hospital, they would not endanger the lives of patients by taking them through germ infested hallways.

"She's in the intensive care unit four floors up, there's a disinfected private elevator that we use to move patients from surgery to ward, to avoid stories. You cannot see her until at least seventy two hours, we're trying to keep a fever away from her.

When you're allowed to see her, the nurses will help you scrub up and you can see her." He watched them all nod and he finally got up. He wondered how many granola bars were left in his office or if asking Layla to being him food would be too much.

Immediately the doctor left, Labeebah's aunt hugged her husband and cried hard. Though she had trust in the Abilities of the doctors, anything could have gone wrong and they'd be crying now.

She went down there on the floor in a sujood and thanked her Lord over and over. A large chunk of the trouble was over, the most important thing now was to deal with her recuperation.

"Now, I can listen. Rabiah?" She called Rabiah gently.

"Abdul said the house is his. That Labeebah made it all his, he didn't even let us go in to take her clothes and laptop. Those things." She nodded and wondered how many hours of sleep would be needed before going to deal with Abdul.

"Ibrahim?" She called her husband when a better idea occured to her. "Is that your Lawyer still in Abuja?" Her husband nodded solemnly, but out of the corner of her eye, she saw Hakeem shake his head in thought.

"You think we should not involve the law?" Hakeem shook his head again. "You need to do so. But with Labeebah's lawyer, I'm aware she has a lawyer?" Rabiah nodded and fished out her phone to call Barrister Shonekan.

*****

Hey guys,

Who missed me? 😌. I've been away catching up on my reading, dealing with life and just generally getting enough sleep. What have you been doing?

So, I'll be updating one more chapter today and we'll be going on a two week break. Hopefully, I'll be able to write some more and update some more for you guys.

See you in the next chapter.
TheOmoope💛💙