19| You need to stop doubting that

Start from the beginning

"You don't think I try?!" David snaps. "But if someone says it long enough you begin to believe it."

James shushes him. "I know, I'm sorry. But Sarah is sleeping so you have to keep it down."

"Oh yeah, don't want to wake up your precious Sarah." Sarcasm laced in his voice.

I can't hold back an eye roll.

"You know," James says, "it's comments like that make her think you don't like her."

David grunts, "how many times do I have to say this? I don't hate her!" He says desperately.

Well, he sure has a weird way of showing it then, I think to myself.

David's voice lowers and I have to lean in a little to hear what he says.

"I'm jealous of what you two have." He confesses, "you have found an amazing woman and fallen madly in love. That's not going to happen for me." He says sadly.

"David, you don't know that." James corrects.

David scoffs. "Look at me, James. Look at my life!" I can hear the pain in his voice. "If my parents can't even love me? Why would I think I could ever find someone..."

Silence hangs in the air and suddenly, I feel like I shouldn't be listening to this. I go back into the room and try and sleep.

:::

When we're done ascending and are fully in the air, I feel a little calmer.

"The sun will set in 20 minutes, so if you don't want to miss it, I suggest you eat your picnic now." The pilot said while giving us both a wink.

David takes out a blanket and lays it on the floor and starts taking out the food he brought.

After joining him on the blanket, he pours me some wine and takes out a bottle water for him.

"This is quite the smorgasbord of food you packed for us." I tease looking at the all he brought.

"Didn't want you to go hungry." He teases as he take a bite of his sandwich.

This man amazes me. It's hard to believe we used to never get along. As soon as we started this thing between us, there hasn't been any arguments, mistreatment or doubts.

I would be naive to think that it will be like this forever; couples fight. But I know that at this point, I would fight with him every day if he let me. I am long gone.

"You know you really didn't have to do this." I say smiling at the man I call mine.

"James would come back to haunt me if I didn't." He jokes.

I shake my head. "Don't do that." I correct him. "This may have been something James and I talked about, but it's you who is here to share it with me. Don't belittle yourself."

"Sarah, what you and James had was so special, I don't want to take credit for this." He says softly.

"What James and I had was special, and there is no replacing that." I agree with him. He looks away from me. I touch his jaw lightly for him to look at me. "But that doesn't mean that what you and I have isn't its own special."