chapter 21

Professor Dumbledore conjured two chairs before his desk and allowed Oliver and I to sit down. He asked whether I would like Harry to stay or go but I asked him to stay. I wanted him to trust me. Another chair was conjured and he sat the other side of me, my hands taken by two of the most important people in my life.

"Your Mother, Desdemona Rosier, was the granddaughter of Vinda Rosier who was a devoted follower of the Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald. Vinda, much like Tom Riddle, wanted to rid the world of not just Muggle-born witches and wizards but all non-magic individuals entirely but even Grindelwald thought it too much to kill them all. However, she remained completely loyal to him as did your Mother's mother, Lorelai. She killed her husband, Desdemona's father, when she discovered that he was actually a muggle-born.

"When Desdemona was very young, she ran away from home with her older brother Gellert Rosier, Lorelai had named him after Grindelwald but that was where the connection stopped. He was an incredible man. He took her away from France where they were from and moved here, to Scotland, where she attended Hogwarts. Gellert became her guardian and raised her.

"Whilst in her second year, Voldemort came to fruition and the First Wizarding War came to be, her brother died and she was taken captive by Death Eaters until a group of us managed to rescue her and bring her back. By then, I sensed something had changed in her but your Father was there for her, almost nursing her back to her normal ways. It didn't matter than she was Slytherin, your Father knew she had known death from her own kind, having to run away from her family, your Father committed to being there for her.

"She did truly present herself on our side. She was with us for the greater good. She married your Father, I attended the wedding. She had Daniel, then you Oliver and then you Kyla. But your Father had noticed some changes in her after you were born and I'm not sure if you have ever made the connection however but Kyla, your first birthday, the day your Mother left was the day that Voldemort tried to curse Harry."

Dumbledore paused for moment so I could glance to Harry in confusion.

"But sir," Oliver interrupted. "My Mother left straight after Kyla was born, not her first birthday?"

Dumbledore was silent, a face upon his face that showed disappointment and grief. He stood up from his chair and turned his back on us for a brief moment. Something told me we hadn't had the truth.

"I'm afraid, Oliver, that your Father may have modified your memory to believe so. Possibly all of you - Daniel, Kyla and yourself. Your Mother didn't disappear in one day. Her mind, maybe, but not physically." Apprehensively, Dumbledore continued. I gripped Oliver and Harry's hand tighter. He wouldn't be telling us this unless we deserved to know. I realised in that moment, I had sent the letter to Daniel this morning and I imagined he would have received it by now.

"But why?" Oliver asked, choking up slightly.

"I assume, speaking from my own experience, he had never seen anyone change from so good to so evil in such a short space of time. Your Father frequently came to visit me at Hogwarts with his three little children, asking for help. It was a long year of abuse, lies and an unbelievable protection over his children for him. The day he noticed the Dark Mark bold, bright and clear on her wrist, he had spent three hours alone defending spells from her away from you children before she eventually disapparated and never returned.

"Although I cannot possibility say if he actually did, but if your Father had modified your memory, he would have done it for your own protection back then. Daniel was definitely old enough to remember, maybe seven, his own Mother trying to murder her children and husband. It may have seemed the safe thing to do at the time and I have to say, I agree, but now with what happened today, Harry having such a close call with the Dark Lord himself, you deserve to know these things. Your Father, I suspect, will not be very happy with me but I will speak with him."