chapter 13

"Rosier, Desdemona - Prisoner number three-six-six-... Of Azkaban?" I asked Oliver for the ninth time in completely disbelief. He had stopped replying and committed to a single nod for each time by the fifth. My Mother wasn't only a Dark witch, but she was in Azkaban, the wizarding prison.

"Do you know..." I trailed off.

"No, I don't know what she did. Daniel knows but he wouldn't tell me, neither would Dad so we're in the same boat there." Oliver gazed up into the sky, watching as the sky started to darken slowly and the snow was illuminated around us from the torches lit along the viaduct. I looked back to the photo. If you removed the scar, made her look a little less prisoner, I could see me in her. She carried a little more weight in the face but that wasn't hard, I was still trying to put weight back on.

"Did you ever try to find out?" I asked.

"No." He turned to me with a serious look on his face before nodding his head towards the castle, telling me to start walking inside.

"She must of done something bad though, right? I mean, worse than just following You-Know-Who?" I asked.

"Yes." Bluntly, Oliver replied as the we reached the door which opened magically on its own and shut behind us as we stepped inside. It was much warmer in here but I held my hands near a torch for a moment to heat my fingertips.

"Do you remember her?"

Oliver didn't reply. He dug both his hands into his pockets and slowly began to walk back towards the Great Hall. I could hear the sound of people talking and plates and cutlery clanging as we got nearer. He closed his eyes as he inhaled deeply through his nose, then out through his mouth before turning to look at me.

"I remember the day you were born, the day before she left. That's it." Oliver looked upset. I wanted to know more but I didn't want this to be the start of us mending what had been broken. I reached up on my toes and wrapped my arms around his neck to give him the first hug we had shared in over a year. His hands clasped behind my back and he rested his chin atop of my head, holding me close to him.

"I'm not going to be like her." I mumbled into his jacket. It's why they were so scared, right? I was sorted to Slytherin just like her so they thought we had the same minds, Daniel and Oliver were like Dad - I was like Mum. It wasn't going to happen.

"I know that, I knew that deep down. It's just scary. She is something I've known to bury, deep down or shove into a tiny little box at the back of my mind. And now..." Oliver trailed off.

"I'm asking all these questions and making you unpack the box of hell buried deep in your mind." I pulled away from him, giving him a small smile.

"It's not your fault. I had a lot of questions once too. When there were no answers being given, I gave up. I'm concerned what you'll do to find the answers I never got." Oliver brushed some wet snow from the shoulder of my jacket before gently brushing my cheek with his thumb. He was truly concerned.

"I can't tell you I'm not going to look into it," I said, being completely honest with him and he nodded understandably. It was my nature, I had to comprehend things. "But I'll be careful."

"There you are!" Hermione appeared around the door of the Great Hall as Oliver and I were exchanging another hug. "Madam Pomfrey is about to start a search for you."

"Okay, but..." I hesitated at the giant doorway, glancing along all the top table where Dumbledore was sat talking to McGonagall. Pomfrey was staring right at me with a smile of relief on her face. "I'll have to sit at the Slytherin table so..."